Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Is pet friendly fertilizer and weed killer necessary?

It is time to spay fertilizer and weed killer in the yard again. We plan to use Trugreen to take care of this. We were told that we only need to wait for one hour to have the fertilizer and weed killer dry then to go back to the yard. But we are worried if this is safe enough for our dog. For human, we wear shoes and we do not lick the grass, so it is safe. But our dog does not wear shoes and loves to pick up things from the grass. So any suggestion how to keep our dog safe on this?

Then we are thinking of applying pet friendly fertilizer and weed killer by ourselves. This is not easy but we can try if it is worthwhile.

Thank you for any comments!

Senior Dog
    We avoid everything on our lawn. The groundhog eats the violets and plantains and, for some reason, we have very few dandelions....they can be dug up. The lawn's not that pretty but at least we don't have to worry about the pooches.

Hah...my sig pic shows you what that lawn looks like.

We don't use anything on our back lawn either except for Scotts organic fertilizer. No weed killer

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy0 View Post
    We don't use anything on our back lawn either except for Scotts organic fertilizer. No weed killer
    Then how do you remove and prevent weeds? Also, do you spay anything to kill and prevent pest in your yard?

No I don't spray anything. I lost a dog to cancer and I'm paranoid now. We used to have the yard sprayed when we had that dog. Not saying this caused him to get cancer, but anything I can control I will. Our lawn does have weeds, but not too bad so we just mow them down. That is the lawn in the pic below (and of course the pic didn't show in this post lol)
    Last edited by Nancy0; 06-01-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Same here. Organic fertilizer only and only once a year. Weeds, yep I've got them. Some evenings are spent in the back yard with the dogs popping dandelions. Hey, weeks are green and mow. The only weed I really go after, by hand digging, is thistle. Dang stuff is wicked on feet and paws. I do use a weed and feed in the front yard but the dogs aren't out there.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Nancy0 (06-01-2016)

House Broken
    May I ask do you spray anything to prevent and kill pest? I am worried about fleas and ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Same here. Organic fertilizer only and only once a year. Weeds, yep I've got them. Some evenings are spent in the back yard with the dogs popping dandelions. Hey, weeks are green and mow. The only weed I really go after, by hand digging, is thistle. Dang stuff is wicked on feet and paws. I do use a weed and feed in the front yard but the dogs aren't out there.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy0 View Post
    No I don't spray anything. I lost a dog to cancer and I'm paranoid now. We used to have the yard sprayed when we had that dog. Not saying this caused him to get cancer, but anything I can control I will. Our lawn does have weeds, but not too bad so we just mow them down. That is the lawn in the pic below
    May I ask do you spray anything to prevent and kill pest? I am worried about fleas and ticks.

Trugreen does a crappy job but I can't remember why

vets best has a natural-y flea and tick yard spray. I've used it but I also have an 8 foot fence and have only seen 1 tick in the 2 years I've lived here
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by greagre View Post
    I don't, but maybe look into what doubledip mentioned.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos