Thread: Cooling Pads?

Cooling Pads?

I am thinking of buying a cooling pad for Dakota. I considered them in the past for both dogs but I never got one. Montana was good about finding a cool spot to lay down in the summer but Dakota likes to be with me and at night the AC goes up a tad as we use ceiling fans. The fans don't help dogs though I guess and she just does better when the temperature is cooler. So I found cooling pads on Dr. Foster and Smith. Anyone use one before?

Senior Dog
    I've tried two different kinds....one you added water to and the other was a gel. None of the dogs would use either one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-01-2016)

I have the gel ones. The dogs do not lay on them, but I use them in their crates when traveling. I have all hardwood and tile and they usually find a good spot to cool off before they head back to their beds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    I had the gel ones years ago and the dogs wouldn’t use them. I don’t know if it would work for in the house, but for hot outdoor shows I use a cooling coat - it’s made of a chamois type fabric - you soak it first and it cools through evaporation. Mulder loved it, and while he never needed it in the house would wear it on walks in his senior years. I tried it on Chloe this past weekend and she was unhappy with it at first (I think the weight made her feel weird) but once she realized it was cooling her down she was happy to wear it. There are other types of cooling coats/vests out there.

Does Dakota act like she is uncomfortable or are you just thinking she might be? At her age, I doubt she is still in a crate, but a great thing to do for dogs in crates in the summer is to freeze water in old 2 liter soda bottles and just tuck one or two in the crate (assuming you have a dog that won’t chew them). They give off plenty of “coolness”.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

She pants on the hot days when the AC shuts off. She always used to go on to the floor in the past but this year she doesn't. I don't know if she "forgot" that's an option or not...I've been turning the AC down in the middle of the night these past few nights to keep her more comfortable. I think with her age she's just not tolerating anything warmer than her comfort zone like she used to. She doesn't use a crate anymore.

I bought a gel pad for Ram but he also won't use it. I have used it for hot flashes.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Well, I ordered it and I will try to treat her to get her to lay on it. That's the best I can do. I wonder though--last night there was a lot of panting until she really calmed adn cooled down after our walk....I'm praying she is not hurting or sick....this panting has to be from the walking now that shes getting older...I have to say the thought of something else causing it has given me heart palpitations. I cannot even go there

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos