Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

This morning I was out walking with Thor and a guy came up the street running his husky from his bike. They were moving very fast, and the husky's leash was tied off to the bike. The husky saw Thor and I on the sidewalk and made a 90 degree turn beeline for us. The guy flipped over the front of the bike and wiped out. The husky dragged the bike over towards us. Luckily he was a friendly dog and was more interested in making friends than something malicious.

Luckily the guy was okay - mostly embarrassed and with a damaged bike - and walked the bike and husky home a block. I couldn't help shaking my head - what makes someone think that is a good idea? Tie off a reactive dog to your bike and go barreling down the street as fast as possible with no helmet. In a neighborhood with a lot of people walking dogs.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Idiot. My idiot father did the same thing when I was a kid. Went biking with our lab. She saw something she wanted to sniff, darted in front of the bike, and my dad went over the handlebars.

I wouldn't even do that with Bacon, who is very well trained to a heel.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Some times you just gotta shake your head and wonder.

You need to print this off and show the guy.

Springer Jogger Versus The Competition! | Dog Jogger Reviews and Info

This is how the Dog Scouts teaches us to ride bikes with Dogs. Hemi has one. Its great. It keeps dog away from bike, has a long spring giving me time to react but can break away if needed protecting dog and rider. It is a bit expensive, but worth it.

Amazon.com : Springer Dog Exerciser : Springer Dog Exerciser : Pet Supplies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

MightyThor (06-06-2016)

I biked with my dog. I made sure he was properly trained and heeled well, and even when I was confident in his "heel", I always put a prong on. We had a great time and never had an accident.

Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Never biked with Daisy. I'm not very confident on a bike since I had an accident when I was 9. Bike fell on me and I broke my tibia. However, if I ever were to try Daisy has a good heel and I'd probably hold the leash like Elena. If anything, you could always let go of the leash.

wow! that could have been a disaster on many levels.

I roller bladed with dogs often. never had much of an issue. HOWEVER, with Rocky on the trails people would literally stop and CALL HIM TO THEM. Sigh. He is social of COURSE if someone is waving him down he'll stop :P I would let go of the leash if it was on the same side of the road (it was, we were on bike paths).

I remember one no brainer of taking a foster out without really thinking it thru :P she was a tad afraid of the roller blades themselves! oopsy.

Senior Dog
    I haven’t biked with Chloe in a while, but when I did, I have an attachment similar to the one Jeff posted, and it keeps her in perfect heel. We attach that to a harness, plus I have a leash attached to a prong collar for extra control as she loves to run FAST and sometimes it’s faster than I want to go but she drags me, LOL.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Those clips/biking leashes are great. This guy literally had it wrapped around his handlebars. So of course when the dog cut over towards us it yanked the handles and made him go a$$ over teakettle.

Of course this is the same guy who lives near a major intersection and has a front yard with a 2.5 ft high front fence where he lets the dog out unsupervised all day. I've had to herd the dog back in its yard a few times. Luckily the dog is super chill and friendly and will come with me and won't antagonize Thor, but I worry about him running the opposite way towards the main street. Some people should not own dogs.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

That guy is a moron. I saw our neighbor do something similar with her golden only she was using one of those retractable leashes. The golden was fully extended on the leash and she had no control. Her skinned knees and embarasment were well deserved, IMO.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos