Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Black bear in our neighborhood

I live in a pretty rural area; across the street is an umpteen acre cattle farm. Lots of pasture, some woods, lots and lots of deer, rabbits, etc. There's a recreational patch of woods where bear have been occasionally sighted.

This spring, there has been a LOT of black bear sightings in people's backyards, crossing the street, etc. The bear seem completely unafraid of humans. More alarming, someone spotted a cub. Black bear normally don't mess with people- but a mama bear will!

This weekend, a neighbor reported seeing a black bear very, very close to our house. So of course I'm paranoid.

Last night, there was rustling in the ravine on our property. One of Kimber's great loves in life is to run up to the ravine and bark at the deer who travel though it. She did so last night and sure enough, deer popped out and ran to the neighbors' (Kimber and the deer have an agreement- she stops at the property line and they stop running.) But of course, I had this GREAT FEAR- oh no, what if it's a bear!

/fear vent
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

All too familiar to me....We have a lot of black bears in our area too. In fact about 6 years ago we had so many it was ridiculous. One morning my husband had the dogs out and there was a momma bear across the stream that runs down alongside our house. She had 3 cubs. Montana spotted her and took off across the yard towards her. she put her babies up a tree and stood on her back legs- to get a better look at who was charging her I guess. My husband yelled for Montana to come but he would not. He used to listen so well to my husband but this time he did not. He stopped short of the stream thank God. My husband had to bring his gun out and the sound it makes when he loads it is what brought Montana back to his side. We guessed he thought they were going to hunt & retrieve so Montana got in his spot to wait for his "GO". The bear stayed put until my husband got both dogs safely inside. Only then did she let her cubs down and they left. Dakota went inside the house the very second my husband shouted for her to. After that I never took the dogs out again without either a leash or e-collar.

I think with bears being sighted this close to humans, they have found the humans as a source of food. Have any garbage cans been raided?? I think I would start carrying a can of bear mace just in case.

Bird feeders were a regular attractant to the bears in our area. My neighbor used to hang feeders in her big tree and there ya go-she'd find bear poop there in the mornings.

Senior Dog
    I'd just seen this morning where one was spotted at an elementary school near me....maybe 3 miles away "as the crow flies". In other words, way too close for my comfort. I take a daily walk in our local park and have to go through a relatively isolated stretch (houses a bit far away on either side...one neighborhood just being built....through trees). I saw a mountain lion there twice, both times in 2012....and I'm always thinking there's going to be "something" there. Naturally, this morning I was thinking bear....and had my puny little stun gun in my hand until I got to the lake (where I didn't see anyone else for about two miles....but it still seems safer than in that stretch).

I know you'll be careful, but.....be careful!

I'm just glad we don't live in bear country.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    I'm just glad we don't live in bear country.
    Now, you knew someone would try to disabuse you of that notion, right?

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Senior Dog
    We don't put out bird feeders but yeah, there's a lot who do.

A friend of a friend who lives in another part of the county interrupted a bear tearing apart her car! Broke through the glass, shredded the seats. Turns out she had a bag of dog food in the trunk. Yikes!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

omg! i frequently leave dog food in my truck just because the bag is so heavy I cant carry everything in at once.

Quote Originally Posted by MontananDakota View Post
    omg! i frequently leave dog food in my truck just because the bag is so heavy I cant carry everything in at once.
    Get a couple of these guys.

Die Golden Power of Lindelbach bei der Hausarbeit - YouTube
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-08-2016), Snowshoe (06-09-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos