Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Hounds don't speak retriever

We are watching our neighbors' two dogs for a few days. Including Kimber, the 3 dogs are all older and pretty mellow, and seem to enjoy hanging out together. I think Kimber and the hound, Tigger, want to play together, but they can't quite get it together. He will do a little playbow to her and she doesn't react right away. Three seconds later, she'll paw him playfully, and he won't react right away. Five seconds later, he'll nudge her with his head, and by the time she responds, he's wandered away. Pitiful, LOL!

Last night, she unearthed a tennis ball and began dropping it in front of Tigger, wagging madly. It was obviously, "Look at this ball, it's the best ball ever, you should try and get it." Tigger, being a hound, had NO IDEA what she was saying. Kimber then picked up the ball, and tried to rub it on his face. Tigger was like, "What the heck? Do you want to bark? I know how to bark!" and he playfully barked. Kimber was startled- what is that barking?- and took her ball to the bed.

These two.

It's really bittersweet to watch because at almost 11 years old, it's been a LONG time since Kimber tried to do much playing, and Tigger is the first dog she's reached out to that isn't a dog she knew as a youngster. I'm so glad she's made a new friend! Now if they could just get on the same playing page!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Java (06-09-2016), labsnewfy (06-10-2016), mackiesmom (06-10-2016), Scoutpout (06-08-2016)

What a good host Kimber is, playing with her guests. I can just imagine the disconnect. Its ok Kimber, they will get it!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

That's so cute. Even if they don't get the play signals figured out it seems to be giving Kimber something new to think about.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-08-2016)

Something tells me they will get it figured out!

They'll get it and then watch out, all you-know-what will break loose!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

aww, I hope they figure each other out!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Put away your valuables! It sounds like they'll get it together soon. And if they don't, it's still probably adorable to watch!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

aww that's so sweet

I love watching dogs interact and figure each other out (and yes super funny with very different breeds who totally don't speak the same language). With time they usually figure it out or find a compromise I had a foster who never did quite mesh with Penny though. No fights or anything and they lived together no issues until she was adopted. But they just could NOT get the play thing down. One was always bullying the other. Then the next session, the "victim" would be the "bully". and then switch again. I just shook my head and managed them outside :P

Aww that's sweet and sounds very funny to watch. I am also dog sitting at the moment and one of them is a very old hound mix of some sorts. My youngest Aimee is trying to get the old guy to play with her, she paws at him, rolls on her back and wiggles around, shoves balls in his face, he gets all excited and hops a few times and falls back asleep. She is so damn confused

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

labsnewfy (06-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Last night, she unearthed a tennis ball and began dropping it in front of Tigger, wagging madly. It was obviously, "Look at this ball, it's the best ball ever, you should try and get it." Tigger, being a hound, had NO IDEA what she was saying. Kimber then picked up the ball, and tried to rub it on his face. Tigger was like, "What the heck? Do you want to bark? I know how to bark!" and he playfully barked. Kimber was startled- what is that barking?- and took her ball to the bed.
    Oh, hounds. And labs. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos