Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So what now? Wait or get another Lab ASAP

I get up every morning in a very quiet house. I live alone & since Hope died, 1 month and 9 days ago, I have mixed feelings. One half doesn't want a dog, I'm still experiencing a lot of heartache, the other side of me says get one soon, there is a dog out there that needs me, starting all over again seems like a lot of work BUT I feel very lost without a side kick.
    Friends are all asking, people send me pictures of dogs that need homes. All I want is Hope back. Maybe I'm just not ready.
    -hope-field-2-jpg-miss-mallard-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -hope-scarf-1-jpg  

Truly, it is what you feel. I know I have always had a dog, and I can't imagine not having one. But the heart needs time to heal. Hope that you can make your choice and you can start to heal.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    It doesn't sound to me like you're ready, but that's just based on what you write.

One thing I would suggest, though, is that you really screen any non-young-puppy you might consider in terms of how he/she would react to your environment and lifestyle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-09-2016)

We lost a collie to a tragic accident and DH and I grieved very differently. I wanted a pup right away and immediately started a search on line, I think it was my way of working through what happened. My husband couldn't look at another dog until he was ready. I think living alone and without any dog is very different than having others, two legged or 4 legged around. It's up to you but if you're unsure, it's probably best to wait a bit as you wouldn't want to put a new dog in an unstable situation.

People grieve and heal on their own schedule. It took 2 1/2 years after Teddy died for me to feel ready to take on a puppy but my life was busy with work and kids, so we waited. Some people are ready much sooner. It's a testament to Hope that you're thinking about your future with another dog. She taught you well how the love of a good dog can fill you with joy.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-09-2016)

I personally would have run right out to get another after losing Montana -if I didn't have Dakota. Although it couldn't have been a yellow Lab. I knew that for me I just couldn't be without a dog. Especially when there are so many that need us. Maybe go and look. Maybe that would give you a better idea of whether or not you are ready. Sometimes it just takes time and that is the hard part.

I personally have not lost a dog in a tragic way (knocking very hard on wood!) so I think that is different than losing an old dog, especially when it's been a progressing situation and the dog has lived a very long life. It also depends on your outlook. I have a friend who has had one dog who is now seven and swears that she won't get another because losing them is too hard. Note that the dog is alive and well, but my friend obsesses about the dog dying and how she is going to feel. Regardless of the pain, I am grateful for having them in my life and feel that the pain in the end was worth all of the love, joy, companionship, laughter, teamwork and fun along the way. So, I guess you have to decide which camp you are in and then you should just get one when you're ready. Don't be in a big hurry and do find the best dog for your lifestyle.

This is so different from my first lab Maxxie who died at 15 years old. This was a tragic accident. I am not a person who dwells on the past or what I have lost. I am not by any means a whiner or drama queen but this has hit hard. I guess as they said, if you can't decide what to do, do nothing. I just think about it all the time. Thank God for great friend and other hobbies that keep me busy + now my friends lend me their dogs.

Senior Dog
    I think you will know when you are ready. I’ve never been in the position of losing a dog and not already having at least one other around ... not sure how I would feel in that situation.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Sometimes things happens whether your ready or not, or evening looking for it. If it's meant to be I think Hope will guide the way to another fur kid and somehow you'll know. It's a feeling that is hard to explain unless you've experienced it before, for me it's like this feeling of contentment, satisfaction, and at ease with everything all rolled into one.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos