Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Playground at the local park

So last night I was walking in the park with my dd and Dakota. We usually stop at the playground. Last night there were 3 teenagers there on the swings. I told my dd to stay on the other side, simply because I know teens sometimes do not use nice language. Sure enough as I'm standing there watching my dd on the monkey bars I hear "M876534 F87634!!! blah blah blah....." and I look over, the boy saw me,( had to have known I am a mother) and the 2 girls continue their foul language. I let my dd finish and then we left. I thought to myself why do these kids use this language in front of a child and parent? I was pretty disgusted. I totally felt like if I had asked them to watch their language that they may have gotten nasty and this I do not want in front of my dd. So we left. What would you all have done? Anything?

I think I would have done that same thing as you just walked away, especially since you had your dd and Dakata with you.

Sadly for some kids these days it doesn't take much to set them off or give them a reason to do something terrible. I might have once in my car and driving away yelled something out the window at them making sure I had a clean escape plan first.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Real Retriever
    I would have just driven away as well. I think a lot of teenagers are just doing it for the shock value so I don't take it personally. If I felt comfortable and had a decent vibe I might have smiled and maybe started up a neutral conversation. If the response was good I might have casually said "I know you don't have to but if you could maybe watch your language around her, I'd really appreciate it."

For the most part, I don't mind kids of any age. I think all generations have had issues-it's part of that rebellious, invincible period in your life. You are supposed to make mistakes, in judgement and action. Hopefully they will learn as they get older

They act like that because they were never taught any manners by their parents. I've been in this situation, and I will generally say something, but I'm 6'4" and can be pretty intimidating. I would not want my wife to say anything, as there is always a possibility for things to turn ugly. I think in this situation you did the right thing.

Apples don't fall from trees.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (06-09-2016)

I would have done what you did not knowing the teens.

When DD was in high school, was waiting to pick her up after cheer practice. The girls were in a group talking, debating and "arguing" the merits of one routine over another. The foul language started to fly. Got out of the car and told the girls they could argue, disagree and debate all they wanted but to keep the language clean. There was no reason for foul language to be used.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-10-2016)

Those children have no manners! How sadly, some other parents they don't know what's going on in there children and they don't spend time to teach them. That's why there so many children grow like that.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I would have done what you did not knowing the teens.

When DD was in high school, was waiting to pick her up after cheer practice. The girls were in a group talking, debating and "arguing" the merits of one routine over another. The foul language started to fly. Got out of the car and told the girls they could argue, disagree and debate all they wanted but to keep the language clean. There was no reason for foul language to be used.
    WOW thats awesome, especially since they were in HS. Its that age that seems to be like it can go good or very bad which is why I chose to keep quiet the other day. In your situation though I imagine you probably know some of the other cheerleaders so it's safer to speak up as the adult. I think if it were my dd's group of friends I would. These kids we saw though-not at all.

House Broken
    I think a lot of teens use foul language as a means of staking independence. Think about it - it's the first time in their lives that they're out without adult supervision (it's been all "play dates" before) and now there's no one to reprimand them when they use foul language (aka, words that have been forbidden up till now). Being able to curse means they're "adults" now. Yeah, some of it may be bad manners / absentee parenting, but a lot of it is coming from general culture. Trust me, teens are more influenced by Justin Bieber than they are their parents at this point in their lives.

As far as saying something to the teens, well that really depends on the situation and how receptive or hostile you think they'd be. If anything, it's a teaching moment for your daughter - cursing is part of the lexicon and she'll hear bad things everywhere (spend 10 minutes on a busy city street). But just because she hears it doesn't mean she has to mimic it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacksonsmommy For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-11-2016), Piper'sMom (06-11-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsmommy View Post
    As far as saying something to the teens, well that really depends on the situation and how receptive or hostile you think they'd be. If anything, it's a teaching moment for your daughter - cursing is part of the lexicon and she'll hear bad things everywhere (spend 10 minutes on a busy city street). But just because she hears it doesn't mean she has to mimic it.
    Yes, I would be more inclined to have a discussion with my kids (and have - they are turning 13 and 16 this summer) about the proper use of foul language. I’ve told them it’s ok to let out a curse if something startling and painful happens like dropping a brick on their foot, but that just casually dropping it into conversation like so many do a) robs it of it’s effect and b) makes it sound as if you don’t know any other vocabulary. I don’t know how well it’s taken but I do know they don’t swear in front of me, LOL.

Also, I don’t know how old your DD is, but my kids started hearing swear words on the playground in 3rd grade, so unless she is VERY young, she most likely has heard those words and more already.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (06-11-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos