Thread: Switcheroo

Switcheroo

Lark is still crated when I leave the house but since I don't work full time, it's not an everyday thing. I thought Lark could probably be out of the crate some when I leave but when Chase and Lark start fighting (playing) it can get a bit wild- barking, running, jumping at each other, Chase trying to hump Lark if I don't stop him. I shudder to think what I might find when I get home if they're left out together all day. Chase was crated until he was about 3 years old because he didn't seem ready for the freedom until then. Lark is 18 months old but seems like she could handle it, at least for short periods of time.

I had to make a quick grocery store run this afternoon but Lark had already been in her crate for 8 hours while I worked. I didn't want to put her back in but I wasn't sure about leaving them out together. Since Chase is usually so happy to get in the crate anyway, I put him in and left her out for the 30 minute trip. And when I got home, she was lying quietly at the basement door through which I had left. What a good girl. Chase was happily sleeping. I'd never thought about crating him and letting her stay out before. I'm not sure she's ready for an 8 hour day out of the crate while I'm gone but we'll definitely try it some more.

Next step will be letting them stay out together some time. I'm not sure any of us are ready for that quite yet. I'm glad I had that little revelation, though. Chase in, Lark out. Yep, that works.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

dxboon (06-12-2014)

Sounds like a good plan. Gives Chase trial runs.

I have been giving chili up to 2 hour stretches of freedom while I go out to dinner/shopping. He has been a saint...but a few times whenever I am out and old lady home with chili he gets naughty...its weird how chili around me is totally behaved but with my wife he is an obnoxious kid. I swear if I lived alone leaving chili uncrated/free to roam it would be ok. just goes to show it takes a family to prove...I wish you luck and hope you can achieve. baby steps!
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Sounds like a good plan! Sam is the same age as Lark and we don't crate him any more. It's been a couple months now and he's been an angel. Mind you, he is often NOT an angel when we're home! Most mornings when I'm trying to get ready for work, I'm chasing him around trying to get things out of his mouth. His new favorite thing to do is stick his head in the hamper and pull out socks then take off running. He's also rediscovered the joy of stealing toilet paper like he did when he was a baby puppy. Fortunately when we're not home, he just sleeps and doesn't bother anything. We do make sure we put the remote up high!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Glad it was all sorted out and the pups were happy!

Senior Dog
    Glad you found the plan that works. Good for Lark for being so good while you were out.

KAZ

Proud moment achieved!

very nice

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos