Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

car ramp/steps for a sedan

Kimber's having a tough time getting into the backseat of my Subaru Legacy, although she can jump out without a problem. I know we've had threads about car ramps before but those have been geared towards SUVs. I'm looking for something that would work in a sedan and would fit in my sedan trunk. TIA!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Dog Ramps: Travel Lite Tri-Fold Pet Ramp at Drs. Foster & Smith

This is what I have and although I have an SUV, this folds to fit in a trunk. The only thing to keep in mind I think is to make sure whatever you get will fit by the door if that's where it needs to sit for her to get out. Like will the door open wide enough? Because I have tried to use this for the sides as well and it was a bit wide for that.

Senior Dog
    Good point! I may need steps because I don't usually have enough clearance on the side of the car for a ramp (picture a car in a parking lot, where you have enough room to open the car door all the way without hitting the neighboring car, but just barely.) We have steps for our bed and I just use my hands to balance her back end while she scampers up them; something smaller like that might be perfect.
    Hidden Content

Reminds me of Dakota-I say to her "help?" and she puts her front paws up on the bed, then she 'sits' back on my hands and I lift her back end up onto it. We've been doing this for years and its hysterical.

Yeah its hard-there's not much space when a car door is opened all the way. Steps may be the thing for her.

Senior Dog
    That's pretty much what we do for the sofa, and have been doing for the car. I say, "Paws" and she puts her front paws up, and I boost up her back end. She can still do the sofa fine, but the car is a little higher.
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (06-15-2016)

Side Door Adapter for Ramp

They have also listed this "adapter" thingy....someone posted about those fantastic, light-weight aluminum folding metal steps, but i can't seem to find them anywhere - pricey but looked really well made, and available in several sizes depending on vehicle height.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

AHA! "Petloader" are the ones i was trying to find the other day!
    Dog Steps, Dog Stairs and Dog Ramps from Pet Loader

What about a block of foam (like several sheets of that construction insulation cut to a step-sized piece and glued together) covered with some inexpensive thin carpet? a friend made a 2-step one for the back of her Kia minivan, the bottom is a rectangle, the top one is square, they velcro together. each piece was about 7" high, and they weigh next to nothing. She said they work great in motels for the dogs to get up to the bed too. With your car side height, you may be able to get away with one piece, kind of like a mounting block but with only one piece.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    That's pretty much what we do for the sofa, and have been doing for the car. I say, "Paws" and she puts her front paws up, and I boost up her back end. She can still do the sofa fine, but the car is a little higher.
    I think that is so awesome!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-16-2016)

I have the 3 step - 12" Pet Loader for a side entry into my car. Like in the picture below I use the door frame for the top step and then Ram steps up to the seat. I don't bother using my trunk for the steps, I just fold them and they sit on the floor in back.

I use the steps for both in and out of the car as jumping down can also cause shoulder issues for an old guy.

Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    AHA! "Petloader" are the ones i was trying to find the other day!
    Dog Steps, Dog Stairs and Dog Ramps from Pet Loader

What about a block of foam (like several sheets of that construction insulation cut to a step-sized piece and glued together) covered with some inexpensive thin carpet? a friend made a 2-step one for the back of her Kia minivan, the bottom is a rectangle, the top one is square, they velcro together. each piece was about 7" high, and they weigh next to nothing. She said they work great in motels for the dogs to get up to the bed too. With your car side height, you may be able to get away with one piece, kind of like a mounting block but with only one piece.
    I really like the foam idea! Thanks so much.
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos