NJ Peeps - What's up with this???

what the heck? they want pet stores to be able to sell dogs from breeders? what responsible breeder sends puppies to pet stores?

However, does this mean you cannot fly in a puppy from a responsible breeder in other areas? if you have to be on location? That local breeders can only sell puppies to buyers who come to them (which I am not entirely opposed to you can always fly in to pick up right - though I guess this could be a bit of a headache).

"Limits pet shops to selling dogs sourced only from animal shelters and rescues, yet does not require shelters and rescues to supply pet shops with animals. Combined with a loss of consumer protections, this will dramatically reduce the ability of New Jersey residents to purchase a pet of their choice, much less one with the predictable type, mandated care, and substantiated health backgrounds that purebred pets provide. Many communities lack sufficient local breeders to meet the demand for the specific pets with predictable characteristics and substantiated health histories, as well as sourced from facilities subject to USDA and state animal welfare standards, desired by local residents. When consumers cannot acquire a pet that is an appropriate fit for their lifestyle, an animal is more likely to be returned to the shelter/rescue system. Furthermore, this proposal fails to consider the public health impact of animals sourced exclusively through the shelter/rescue system."

• Requires sales of dogs to be face-to-face. An exception is provided only for transfers of dogs between breeders done exclusively for the preservation of the bloodline of the dog, provided that a breeder does not make more than five such transfers each year. The bill further requires records of such exempted sales to be submitted to the Department of Health prior to sale. "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-18-2016)

The face-to-face sales transaction is a Federal USDA/APHIS regulation, unless of course you have a licensed kennel that fulfills the USDA requirements, then you are allowed to ship puppies via airlines, sight unseen.

The USDA/APHIS regulations for a kennel license are ridiculously difficult and expensive to comply with, and you cannot have your animals in the house, they must be in a fully sanitizable environment, think concrete, commercial sanitizing agents and drains. So most breeders I know, just make sure to sell face to face. I actually have a file that has a picture of my families at my home, in front of something recognizable as being in my home, as proof that my families came to me to pick up their puppy.

Its is a slap in the face that "rescues" and "shelters" can easily go around these laws and rules and make money doing it. There are no stud fees, breeding fees, health clearances, and other expensive breeder costs, they just sell puppies for as much (or more!) than a good breeder does. "Rescue" (and I know there are some good ones out there still) is a huge business now, they import litters and dogs from other cities and even other countries to fill their "need" without regulation like the breeders have to comply with.

Watch out people, your options and choices for where you acquire your pet, is becoming strictly regulated, and if the radical animal right activists (PETA, and the HSUS) have their way, pet ownership will be done away with entirely very soon. I have been to Sacramento quite a few times to fight anti breeder legislation and believe me, these people are serious, and have 100's of millions of dollars to back them up. Please fight this if you can, they only way to win is for the legislators to hear us through our votes
    and letters.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-18-2016), Charlotte K. (06-18-2016)

All those emails on that AKC link? Email them, call their offices and leave messages with their secretaries, be polite and be kind, but be heard.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-18-2016), Charlotte K. (06-18-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    All those emails on that AKC link? Email them, call their offices and leave messages with their secretaries, be polite and be kind, but be heard.
    Yes, both of the clubs I belong to (breed and Obedience) have been sending links on how/where to protest this.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I do think the regulations often negatively affect the good breeders Considering I am unlikely to find a breeder I can drive to I guess this would mean I'd have to fly and pick up the puppy (VS just fly the puppy) .

I don't agree with allowing the sale of any dogs for profit in pet stores. I also don't agree with rescue dogs "living" in pet stores and believe there should remain a screening process before animals are adopted.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos