Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's wrong with people?!

Yesterday afternoon while walking with Cookie in a public forest-park, I saw a big Rhodesian Ridgeback coming our way. The dog was off-leash, with no owner on site. I felt angry and panicky but I managed to grab the dog by the collar before it got to Cookie. I didn't want to risk a fight especially since Cookie's leg is not 100% healed, and we have put so much effort and money in the recovery, I don't know what I'd do if something went wrong. With the Ridgeback held by his collar I started searching for the owner. Thankfully he and Cookie didn't mind each other's presence and got along just fine. After a while a found the owner at the other end of the park (!!) sitting on a bench reading a book (!!!). When she saw us, she said "Oh, you found him!" I tried to be polite, even though I was very, very angry when I saw her, and told her that it's risky to let a dog roam around here without any supervision. She said that he is a good dog, doesn't get into fights, but he doesn't listen to anyone. (Yeah, you obviously did so much to train the dog sitting here like you don't care) I told her that he could approach aggressive dogs on leash and get attacked, that he could eat something he shouldn't, that he could see a dog at the other end of the street and get hit by a car. I told her that my dog had hip surgery and that her off-leash playful dog could hurt him by just jumping on him. I told her there are ways to exercise the dog without letting him off-leash since he is not trained. She told me that she can't run with him. (Yeah, you can sit on a bench and read a book, you can't even walk him, for god's sake!). So I offered to walk her dog because I felt sorry for him. He is a young, high-energy dog and the least I could do for him is walk him while I walk Cookie and get him back to her.

Then I realized that he is a great dog. He listened to every single command, even though he just met me.

I don't understand some people. First, you get a high-energy breed that doesn't suit your lifestyle. You let him roam without thinking of all the things that can go wrong. And you just sit on the bench reading a book without knowing where on earth your dog is!!

I really hope the owner came to her senses after our little chat and that I won't hear that something bad happened to this boy.

Cookie and Simba

Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    How lucky for him that you caught him before he got into trouble of one sort or another. What a stupid owner.

I'm sure Cookie was proud!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-18-2016)

You are such a good person. How many people would have reamed that woman out and you end up walking her dog for her. Do you suppose she will clue in that YOU are demonstrating how it should be done?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-18-2016)

I don't know... I hope so, though. I just felt sorry for the dog. He got along well with Cookie, and I was walking Cookie anyway, so I said, why not? I could have gotten into a heated argument with her but I doubt it would have helped the poor dog.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You can't fix stupid. Book reader will never get it because she doesn't want to.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-19-2016), Berna (06-18-2016), MontananDakota (06-21-2016)

That was nice of you to walk her dog!

I was walking my boys last night, it wasn't even dark out and the weather is nice, so plenty of people out and about. We walk by a house and some people -- adults even -- were on their porch visiting. They had their front door open. Their dog starts barking from inside the house and they just let him run out and go after my dogs. Really? Like you couldn't shut your front door? Or put a baby gate up? I mean, it's not like the dog ran out between your legs or pulled the leash out of your hands. The front yard wasn't fenced, so it's not like the dog jumped a fence or got through a gate left open. Your front door is wide open. The sidewalk is 12 feet from the front door. REALLY? What did you expect? It's not an accident if you are completely careless. I don't even know what to say to people anymore...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-18-2016)

As Sparky said, you can't fix stupid. But it surprises me every time, the amount of stupidity. And dogs always pay the price, unfortunately.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Happy you were the one who met them. Nope, you can't fix stupid and as you say the dog pays the price. So nice of you to give the dog a walk and let him get the exercise he needs.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-19-2016)

That was so nice of you to take him with you and Cookie on your walk, giving him a little company someone that actually cares about what happens to him even though you were a complete stranger. You kept him safe and everyone had fun. That is so sad she didn't care what happened to him he could have been taken and bad things done. Poor guy. I wonder what she would have done if you had just walked right out of there with him, she would have never noticed.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

15. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-19-2016)

Stupid owner Poor dog! Why other people didn't take good care of there dogs. Glad you and your dog are safe.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosy For This Useful Post:

Berna (06-19-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos