Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Conformation Certificate

There were 10 dogs at the National Amateur Retriever Club's Field Trial that sought out and received the CC to indicate that in addition to being FC/AFC's (most of them) they met the breed standard. I think that's pretty cool. (Rocket Dog will never make any of those awards... so we'll seek satisfaction where we can and have fun doing it. )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    There were 10 dogs at the National Amateur Retriever Club's Field Trial that sought out and received the CC to indicate that in addition to being FC/AFC's (most of them) they met the breed standard. I think that's pretty cool. (Rocket Dog will never make any of those awards... so we'll seek satisfaction where we can and have fun doing it. )
    I don't think it's that difficult to achieve the certificate, relatively speaking. It's nothing like AKC anyway, probably closer to the International Kennel Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I don't think it's that difficult to achieve the certificate, relatively speaking. It's nothing like AKC anyway, probably closer to the International Kennel Club.
    The Conformation Cert program is written and administered by the LRC, Inc--- The AKC parent club--- so it DOES follow the AKC standard as far as DQs etc. I have a girl who would likely not pass unless she grows a bit more, however, she would do fine under the International/ IABCA and UKC programs which go by the FCI standard. Just clarifying before folks get confused but I am a member of LRC and participated in one of the first CC offerings at a National 16 yrs ago. Same girl, btw, isn't any different in size from many of the bitches in the AKC ring who aren't being wicketed by the judges.... Big sigh.

Btw, Just who is the International Kennel Club? Never heard of it! Anne

PS, Btw, I think that is FANTASTIC that the FT folks are partaking. I know they gave it a good turnout last year at one as well! It's all about education...
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

On the one hand, I'd tell you that when the time comes, I want the best FC/AFC lines I can get for a replacement for Rocket Dog. At the same time, I'd also be honest enough to say that the Conformation Certificate on one or both of the parents would be something I'd take notice of. (All things being equal, I'd go with the dog that fit the standard.) At the same time, I would absolutely be neutering and spaying my dogs so... not sure my choices would move the dial, so to speak.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I have a girl who would likely not pass unless she grows a bit more, however, she would do fine under the International/ IABCA and UKC programs which go by the FCI standard. Just clarifying before folks get confused but I am a member of LRC and participated in one of the first CC offerings at a National 16 yrs ago. Same girl, btw, isn't any different in size from many of the bitches in the AKC ring who aren't being wicketed by the judges.... Big sigh.
    How tall is she now and how old? Sass is still under the standard and I’m not sure she will ever make it. She’s about 20 inches now at a year old. Cookie is about 21, and Chloe is 22. Honestly, not showing in conformation, I’m not sure I mind her being on the smaller side. Although it was funny ... last night I was practicing fronts in front of a mirror so I could judge how straight they were, and both Chloe and Cookie have butts big enough (helps that they have longer, fluffier coats) that you can’t see my feet/lower legs when looking from behind the dog unless they are very crooked, but Sass’s wasn’t big enough to cover so she’s going to have to be REALLY straight, LOL.
    Last edited by Annette47; 06-21-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Annette, I have had both Labs and Cavaliers grow at this age.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Annette, I have had both Labs and Cavaliers grow at this age.
    I think she still has some growing to do, but I’m not sure it’s enough to reach the standard ... Cookie is slightly under but should make it. Sass is just a shorty!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    How tall is she now and how old? Sass is still under the standard and I’m not sure she will ever make it. She’s about 20 inches now at a year old. Cookie is about 21, and Chloe is 22. Honestly, not showing in conformation, I’m not sure I mind her being on the smaller side. Although it was funny ... last night I was practicing fronts in front of a mirror so I could judge how straight they were, and both Chloe and Cookie have butts big enough (helps that they have longer, fluffier coats) that you can’t see my feet/lower legs when looking from behind the dog unless they are very crooked, but Sass’s wasn’t big enough to cover so she’s going to have to be REALLY straight, LOL.
    She turned 2 on 3/30... and is only ~20.75" at the most right now. I think the only way I'd get her to wicket in is to get her fat... really fat. (LOL, not happening!). Let's just say that not one obed judge has questioned our 20" jump height in Open!!!

And no, I don't really mind the smaller size either. Have to say, she's the dog EVERYONE seems to want to take home w/ them when they visit too! I think she's a throwback to Bandit's mom who was only 19.5" tall (Swedish import from Alvgarden).
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

i love (and want) a smaller lab i used to love big big dogs but for practicality reasons and for sport - I now prefer smaller packages Always happy to hear they are out there! I need to measure Penny to get an idea where she is at!

curious - if you are not within height are your disqualified in conformation? I mean if the dog is otherwise great couldn't a judge still give them a placement? seems unfair as I am sure dogs on the other end of the scale (both height and weight) don't get picked on as much (or do they)?

Is height more firm than weight? if they use the wicket but never take out the scale is that because the weight is more a "guideline/recomendation" and not firm? Vs height being firm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    i love (and want) a smaller lab i used to love big big dogs but for practicality reasons and for sport - I now prefer smaller packages Always happy to hear they are out there! I need to measure Penny to get an idea where she is at!

curious - if you are not within height are your disqualified in conformation? I mean if the dog is otherwise great couldn't a judge still give them a placement? seems unfair as I am sure dogs on the other end of the scale (both height and weight) don't get picked on as much (or do they)?

Is height more firm than weight? if they use the wicket but never take out the scale is that because the weight is more a "guideline/recomendation" and not firm? Vs height being firm?
    Height is a DQ, (disqualification) in the Labrador, weight is not a DQ. If someone calls for a wicket, and the dog or bitch measures out, too tall or too short, they are excused, if you get excused 3 times you cannot show again. Hardly anyone calls for the wicket, and I see a lot of bitches that are under height at shows. There is no scale at a dog show, so they don't ever weigh them.

Size, Proportion and Substance: Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches;for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-22-2016), windycanyon (06-22-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos