Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love/hate

Love/hate

I havent posted much since we got Tobey because things are going rather well. He's a great pup, nice even temperment, picking up his training nicely. He just turned 6 months this week. One thing I had been concerned about was how our 9 year old bitch Cassie would take to him. She's not the most dog friendly lab, because dogs cant play fetch with her so why bother? We've had our share of the usual snarl and nip which now is mostly play biting all in good fun. I've posted on this before. And some days she even seems to like him (see photo).

So I thought we were over this 'hump'. This morning though, they've both had their breakfast, and been out to do their business. She's lying on her bed in the office, and Tobey is having, for Tobey, a very mellow morning. Now Cassie is not really a morning person, but today Tobey is just hanging out near her and she gives a very serious growl. I know her growls, this was serious. So i moved Tobey away even though he wasnt doing anything and reached down and stroked her ear. A minute later he wandered over toward her again, and she very aggresively snarled and nipped him. Scared me, it wasnt nice. Tobey screamed and ran, he's a big drama queen. No blood, no skin break. I sent her upstairs where she often hangs out.

So my question is is there more to this than her simply not wanting to be bothered? Definitely sounded more evil than usual. Tobey didnt seem to be bothered though, he's a pretty thick skinned pup. She seems fine otherwise, not in any pain, behaving otherwise typically. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_8508-jpg   -img_5774-jpg  

My first thought is you may want to get your girl in for a thorough vet check up. Is she hurting? Have you tested her thyroid levels (I'd recommend the MSU lab for that)? That sudden / fierce of a response is not something I'd consider normal even if she's a bit unsocial. Good luck! Tobey is a doll, btw! Anne
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-23-2016), barry581 (06-23-2016), dxboon (06-23-2016), mhb (06-23-2016)

i agree with the above, i wonder if she was sore this morning. or just feeling bleh today and thus crankier, even maybe just more tired from a busier few days? Penny has much much less tolerance when she is very tired, I can see it (but this is "normal" for her).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

mhb (06-23-2016)

I agree would have Cassie checked out and yes to the thyroid panel too.

Anything out of character should be questioned, that's how we found out Bailey's liver values were off, he didn't want to get into their pool.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    My first thought is you may want to get your girl in for a thorough vet check up. Is she hurting? Have you tested her thyroid levels (I'd recommend the MSU lab for that)? That sudden / fierce of a response is not something I'd consider normal even if she's a bit unsocial. Good luck! Tobey is a doll, btw! Anne
    Her being in pain was my first thought although there was no other indication. Ate well that am, walking fine, slept fine last night. Was in for a full exam a couple of months ago, nothing noted. I have not had her checked for thyroid. She's a pretty high energy dog even at 9, and she wants to work/fetch more than she should these days so I am getting cautious about overworking her.

I have a call into the vet to see if wants to see her. I hate that they cant tell you whats wrong, even if its "get that annoying puppy away from me".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mhb For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (06-23-2016)

I would just take her in and get a full work-up. Labs often don't indicate pain in typical fashion, but bloodwork can say a lot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

mhb (06-24-2016)

Senior Dog
    I'm in the "have her checked out" camp...that wasn't within the scope of normal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

mhb (06-24-2016)

Definitely get her checked out if what you see is out of the ordinary for her. I'd do a full workup/senior blood panel on her. She could be feeling poorly somehow, or maybe her hearing or sight is affected in some small way that is not immediately noticeable to the family, but is causing her to feel slightly unsure of her surroundings, which might explain her new zeal in correcting a bouncy pup who startled her.

maybe just loosing some puppy license?

Ditto on getting her checked out—I really hope it was nothing other than her being grumpy, but good to rule it out.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos