Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do we just not talk to children anymore?

Last week we went out to eat and I went to the restroom to wash my hands. There was another, older woman washing her hands there, someone in a stall who was just coming out and a ten year old or so unaccompanied girl. Only one of the soap dispensers was working so it was a line. I noticed that the girl was going from one paper towel dispenser to another trying to get the paper towels to come out. She was reaching up through the slots with her wet hands trying to find the paper towels and clearly had not realized that they were automated. So I said, "Just wave your hand in front of it." She did and the paper towel came out. I said, "There you go." She did it again and handed the paper towel to the older woman who thanked her then she left.

Then the two other women started talking about how they didn't know what to do in that situation. questioning whether or not it was their place to say something to the child and wondering why she didn't know how to access an automated system. They were clearly nervous and acted as if I wasn't there.

What on earth? Do we just not talk to children anymore? At all? How was the kid supposed to get the paper towel if someone didn't say something? When did that become wrong or weird or whatever it is that makes people so uncomfortable these days?

Would you have said something?

I would not have thought twice about saying something.

Perhaps the women are all caught up about the gender-bathroom situation.

Senior Dog
    I wouldn't have thought twice about saying something. I talk to kids all the time.

It's not like you touched her or even just spontaneously struck up a conversation about something non-fixture related.

The world has gotten really weird.

I would have spoken too. But it is tricky, there you are in a public bathroom, site of all kinds of horrors, and kids these days may have been taught to not speak to any stranger, ever. It's worse for men, they can barely look at a child they don't know without worrying someone might misinterpret their interest.

The kids used the same change room as us one day at skating and one little boy, maybe about 10, came in. A couple of men, all grandfathers, spoke to him, a lady spoke to him. The kid just nodded and left as soon as he had his boots on. He really looked uncomfortable. He probably had seen the Stuckless information on the news and I think those nice men and lady scared him.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...ult_trial.html
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-26-2016)

I would have said something to the child too. The other day an older woman had her skirt stuck up in her underwear while washing her hands in a crowded restroom. I whispered to her. She was grateful and pulled her skirt out. My SIL was mortified at me. She said "Why on earth would you point that out to a stranger? She probably thought you were looking" I replied with "I was looking. I saw her undies." For pity's sake this woman did not know her bum was showing. I guess I'm not PC either.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (06-25-2016), SunDance (06-25-2016)

I, being a man would have spoken also. Children do have to be 'on guard' of strangers, but I think if they grow up in a world of fear then society will erode and everyone not even looking at anyone else.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

I too would have spoken up. It's a shame how fearful children have to be these days. Another way would have been, "I'll show you how to get a towel". Geez, that could even be misinterpreted - AHHHHHHH
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I would have said something to the child and the woman with her skirt tucked in too. Would also hope someone would let me know if I was about to walk out showing all.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by labsnewfy View Post
    I would have said something to the child and the woman with her skirt tucked in too. Would also hope someone would let me know if I was about to walk out showing all.
    I agree. I’ve often spoken to kids in that situation ... while I don’t want creepers (as my daughter puts it) interacting with my kids, I’d hope that if they were in the restroom alone and couldn’t work the towels someone would help them!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I would have said something, and I often do, to kids. I never even thought they would be scared of me, I was a Girl Scout Leader for years, maybe that is why?

I follow the 'do undo others as you would have them do unto you' approach. My fly was down when I went to get my car washed, and the lady behind the counter hid behind her register and motioned to me, so no one else would notice, exactly what I would have done! I nodded and mouthed thank you to her!! What is becoming of our society???

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos