Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog seat belts

Senior Dog

Dog seat belts

The last thread on this was two years ago so I'm seeing if there's anything new.

I drive a four-door sedan and a crate won't fit in the backseat.

The last rigorous test of dog seat belts seems to be the one co-sponsored by Subaru, which recommended the Solvit or Sleepypod. Any experience with either of these?

Kimber rides laying down, so I'd need some kind of restraint that allows this.

TIA!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

We bought a sleepypod harness, and Hoku hated it. However—I don't think it was uncomfortable so much as that she always rides in a crate in the back (we have a Toyota Rav4 or whatever it's called) and I think she felt too exposed. She seemed very nervous.

Also, she couldn't seem to figure out how to lie down in it—but I think that's because she was so nervous. There are a lot of clips and such—that's what makes it so safe—but it didn't allow her to find a comfortable position. But it looks like a dog should be able to lie down w/ this, so I'm puzzled.

She wore it for about an hour. Seriously. I'm not even sure where it is now (though I'd be tempted to send you ours if you decide on one).

But, and this is a very big BUT, I really think her aversion to it was a matter of her overly sensitive personality. I think she couldn't relax because she felt she had to be on guard what with seeing everything around her; in her crate she's "off duty" and can just relax. If a dog is already used to riding in a back seat, I don't think they'd have this reaction—really the harness itself seemed to cause no discomfort.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    We bought a sleepypod harness, and Hoku hated it. However—I don't think it was uncomfortable so much as that she always rides in a crate in the back (we have a Toyota Rav4 or whatever it's called) and I think she felt too exposed. She seemed very nervous.

Also, she couldn't seem to figure out how to lie down in it—but I think that's because she was so nervous. There are a lot of clips and such—that's what makes it so safe—but it didn't allow her to find a comfortable position. But it looks like a dog should be able to lie down w/ this, so I'm puzzled.

She wore it for about an hour. Seriously. I'm not even sure where it is now (though I'd be tempted to send you ours if you decide on one).

But, and this is a very big BUT, I really think her aversion to it was a matter of her overly sensitive personality. I think she couldn't relax because she felt she had to be on guard what with seeing everything around her; in her crate she's "off duty" and can just relax. If a dog is already used to riding in a back seat, I don't think they'd have this reaction—really the harness itself seemed to cause no discomfort.

I think this is one of the best reasons to use a crate. It's counter-intuitive to dog non-aficionados (though those of us on the forum do understand it.) I know the OP cannot get a crate in her car and is looking for the safest alternative. I wonder if she would consider trading for a car with a back deck that would be easier to adapt for the dog.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but my first requirement for a vehicle was an area big enough to hold a crate for Archie. Also, if that required seats being put down, they must go down all the way, level. A lot of cars bombed out on that. Archie rides in a crate and I feel we are both much safer.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Hemi has always been a fan of the Kurgo. They are Crash tested. You buy the harness and how you want to attach it to the car. They have a few ways to attach it to the car as well. You can plug directly into the seat belt or use the whole seat belt itself.

You can see the crash test video and more info scroll down the page.
    Enhanced Strenth Tru-Fit Harness | Dog Car Harness

Impact Harness as well Although less maneuverablitility
    Impact Harness | Dog Car Harness

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-27-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hemi has always been a fan of the Kurgo. They are Crash tested. You buy the harness and how you want to attach it to the car. They have a few ways to attach it to the car as well. You can plug directly into the seat belt or use the whole seat belt itself.

You can see the crash test video and more info scroll down the page.
    Enhanced Strenth Tru-Fit Harness | Dog Car Harness

Impact Harness as well Although less maneuverablitility
    Impact Harness | Dog Car Harness
    Thanks, Jeff! Do you use the carabiner or did you get the tether?
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    I think this is one of the best reasons to use a crate. It's counter-intuitive to dog non-aficionados (though those of us on the forum do understand it.) I know the OP cannot get a crate in her car and is looking for the safest alternative. I wonder if she would consider trading for a car with a back deck that would be easier to adapt for the dog.
    I love my dogs but respectfully have to disagree with this. I've always driven sedans and I'm not going to go out an get an SUV for the sole reason of accommodating a crate in the car.

I'm following this post because I'm interested in getting a crash rated seatbelt for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Thanks, Jeff! Do you use the carabiner or did you get the tether?
    I have the Swivel Caribiner, Kurgo Swivel Tether | Dog Seat Belt

This is something you have to buy it extra, however it is stronger than the one that comes with the harness and it allows him to spin around in the back seat to get comfy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (06-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    I love my dogs but respectfully have to disagree with this. I've always driven sedans and I'm not going to go out an get an SUV for the sole reason of accommodating a crate in the car.

I'm following this post because I'm interested in getting a crash rated seatbelt for them.
    Well that and crates are fine but there is nothing keeping the dog bouncing around in the crate, paws going through the wires and like a friend of mine who was rear ended, it simply crushed the crates in. If you hit hard enough to crumple the back of the car or van in this case, the crate will do nothing to protect the dog.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (06-27-2016)

Exactly Jeff, I think the end goal with seat belts and crates is the same, to prevent your dog from becoming a projectile in the event of a crash. The key is just finding the right type of seat belt because they aren't all properly designed to withstand an impact.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (06-27-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos