Difficult Morning Routine

This post is a mix of a frustration and possibly hoping for some ideas...

Pen had surgery 4 weeks ago tomorrow (CCL repair). She has some delays in recovery and is still having to wear a cone and crated when I leave the house. Her walks are pee breaks still (10 mins max with stops/puttering).

Rocky doesn't need much but it's key that he moves some. We do short walks morning and evening. I don't yet walk him with Penny (plus her walks are even less than what he needs) but I may start - it's tricky as Penny is still fragile, i'd rather wait another 4 weeks til the x-ray to see if things are healing well before doing anything risky.

Anyway, i'm back at work for more "regular' hours now but it's been very hard on Penny's moral. I am up at 5:40am, quick shower/dress, take the dogs downstairs and walk Penny. Then I have to put the cone back one and crate her so I can walk Rocky. Morning walks for him are not far but they are slow, so we are gone maybe 20 minutes. Get back home, let penny out of the crate and switch to soft cone (or no cone and the camera on her) while I go and make breakfast/coffee then eat that with them. 7am ish I feed the dogs. If I do to much as she eats she may stop eating so I am limited here and she eats slow :P Then a few minutes break, take them outside for a pee (she rarely pees) then back in, coned and crated at 7:30am. As the days go on she is back to not wanting breakfast as much (which is crucial because her meds require food) and she won't come back in from the last potty break, struggles for the cone going back on and won't go in her crate.

My options are limited. Even having someone else come care for her to give her a break is VERY risky as she gets super super exited and that's not good. I have pushed things at work as much as I can (coming in later, working from home some of the time).

I don't even know if pushing things back another half hour (getting to work later) will help. guess i can try.

She is otherwise happy about her crate. I have been iffy about giving her a stuffed kong as i am not sure how well she can chew it with the cone on (and I don't want her frustrated or moving too much). I throw some dehydrated chicken treats. I used to give her a chicken foot but she wasn't eating those.

Ideas? thoughts? It's just me at home.

I'm not seeing the actual problem. It sounds like you are doing the best you can with your situation and that it's not necessarily causing any issues. Is it the eating part? If so, can you do a homemade diet (can be cheaper than good dog food) or canned food (expensive) for now? Or is it that she hates the crate? If it is the crate, well, it's temporary and it sucks, but it is what it is...

When I thought Sam had a CCL injury I was really stressing over care and how I could do it on my own. I know it must be difficult. Hang in there!

her morale is affecting her appetite (the not eating) and I fear it will get worse each day. Plus the not wanting to go in the crate and tucking of the tail sorta harsh way for me to leave her. I guess looking for ways to make this easier for her? Her eating had been fine until these last two mornings but this is the first week I am back at work for 8am (last week I was in for 9/10am).

it sucks big time especially with the set backs had it not be for the various issues she would at least be cone-less by now and walking a bit more (some are up to 15 minute actual walks at this point which I could possibly do with rocky). I was lucky my parents were with me for two weeks after surgery, no idea how I would have done this without them I also have helpers bees doing some errands like picking up their meds.

Evening walks I put off and do when she is tired (she tires easily) so they are not so bad.

Small pen instead of the crate? It would have to be sturdy. Big enough to put the crate in? Then she could pee in it if she didn't outside. That might set up problems for later on, it might not. Might allow too much movement? She might be psychologically calmer?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Would a different cone/collar work for her? I’m thinking specifically of the Bite-not collar as that might make it easier for her to enjoy something like a Kong or other long lasting treat .... just keep in mind though that as frustrating and miserable as this is, it’s not permanent.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

i use an inflatable cone as well (when I am in the house but not with her) but she can reach her incision with it i am sure. When I leave the house I am only comfortable with the old fashion cone unfortunately Someone recommended using two inflatable cones but that's an added expense (another $50+)

She loves her ex-pen. it's her home, she immediate pulls me there when we get back inside. I am fairly sad she can't spend the day there but again, I am very worried she could get out. It's not supported and she could break it down. But at the same time...she could well be fine in there. I may try it for a short Rocky walk. It's been an internal debate for weeks now, leaving her in the ex-pen or not.

She was fine with the crate the weeks I put in less hours outside the house. She'd go right in. Just this week with my being gone longer she is putting more of a fuss. I may see if I can just do the 9am thing instead of the 8am start time (work from home for a few hours then go in).

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    .... just keep in mind though that as frustrating and miserable as this is, it’s not permanent.
    I know. and i think i see the light at the end of the cone :P I am hoping two more weeks maybe. the incision is about healed, though there is still risk that they open it/cause infection when the skin is still thin. It's really just a bit of a "wound" sorta thing that is getting smaller now.

-image-jpg

-image-jpg

Poor Penny, that's a long time to be in a cone. When Ram was recovering I left him in the kitchen during the day when I was at work because I didn't trust the ex-pen either.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

I have experimented with leaving her in the ex-pen while walking rocky. so far so good. she settles right away on her bed. i'm not fully comfortable with the arrangement as there is risk involved, and once she has more energy it will be trickier but maybe by then i'll be able to walk her and rocky together so it won't be a big deal.

she still pouts but she goes to her expen to do that :P so it works out on that front. she woudln't come in the house though.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-29-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Real Retriever
    I have no advice but am sending you both big hugs 'cause it sounds like you both could use one. Also, I will keep my fingers crossed the expen continues to work okay for poor Penny.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos