LEXIE - Click / Hold

Aye Mates,
    I have been working with LEXIE (a now 10 month old female yellow Lab) going on 3 months into training. LEXIE was a blank slate when she arrived in April and has come a long way since. LEX has done very well with foundational obedience work, has been introduced to birds, water, calls, decoys, gunfire, and is e-collar conditioned. LEXIE is responsive to and handles training pressure very well. In addition to RECALL / HERE, SIT, HEEL (on-lead), STAY (and remote STAY) all being drilled on regularly during obedience work, LEXIE has also been trained on the commands for PLACE, KENNEL, UP / OFF (used to communicate UP or OFF of a raised table, platform, rock, etc.), and DOWN (for prone position). LEX responds well to all obedience related commands and has also learned gestural cues and whistle signals used to communicate the order for her to perform many of those same behaviors as would otherwise be communicated verbally.

As a means of building self confidence LEXIE was introduced to the double ramp table as both an obstacle and as an elevated platform that I wanted her to have growing comfort in being on. Frequent time during training early on builds a comfort zone relative to that location, this building of self confidence and comfort makes the training table used for "HOLD" and "FORCE FETCH" conditioning just another elevated work platform not to be feared.

LEXIE started formalized "HOLD" conditioning on the table just about a week ago and I have proceeded slowly given her rather soft demeanor, items used to teach "HOLD" have progressed from my bare hand, to a leather gloved hand, to a clean paint roller to date. Initially there was some expected mouthing, resistance, and refusal exhibited. Lots of properly timed reward in the form of positive human contact and verbal praise have resulted in good progression made.

NOTE: I use 3 points of restraint with LEX while she is on the training table primarily to assure her safety by imobilizing her during the conditioning process. LEX is tethered via a belly band that runs to an overhead cable, she wears a set of "hobbles" (nylon / velcro bands) on her front legs, and a neck collar affixed to the black upright pipe. One can see by her body language she is not in fear or pain.

A typical "HOLD" session will last betwixt 5 and 10 minutes and LEXIE receives lots of positive touch and praise as reward during a session. Close observation of LEXIE during HOLD conditioning suggested she had a particular liking for the paint roller so I used that to extend the duration of her HOLD before issuing her the GIVE command with lots of praise following for work well done.

Last night immediately after our on table session of HOLD conditioning, I moved LEXI to the ground whilst on a British slip lead, held her back while holding the roller in front of her and commanded "HOLD" giving her slack she lunged forward snatching the roller perfectly in her mouth. I immediately began doing "WALKING HOLD" drills with her while on lead, LEX HEELED attentively and took the SIT command on cue whilst retaining the roller nicely positioned in her mouth with no dysfunctional mouthing noted. I thought to meself "CLICK / HOLD", t'was as if a switch had been thrown making the desired connection of the desired concept. This is a definite switching of the order in which I normally approach this phase of teaching HOLD, but it was the most effective way to do so for LEXIE. An attentive and competent trainer is flexible and willing to "think and work outside of the box".

I ended the session by HEELING a very proud LEXIE all the way back to her kennel run, commanding SIT and GIVE, she released the roller into me hand. I commanded KENNEL and she prompty entered into her run to drink some cool water whilst I heaped verbal praise on her.

I will make use of the momentum gained last night in attaining the desired results (expanding the items to be held and the duration of time retained) prior to continuing on to FORCE FETCH conditioning. :-)

Enjoy ye retrievers and grand training to ye all.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-24-2016), Coalman (07-22-2016), Scoutpout (08-05-2016), TuMicks (07-22-2016)

Very useful thanks.

LEXIE has moved on to FORCE FETCH conditioning having had three sessions to date and she is doing great!

Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-24-2016), JackK (07-21-2016), Scoutpout (08-05-2016)

Mike I love your updates with the dogs. You do such a good job articulating what you are doing and why. I know from my perspective these posts have helped me a lot first with Bruce's training, and now with Brooks. Keep on posting!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (07-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Mike I love your updates with the dogs. You do such a good job articulating what you are doing and why. I know from my perspective these posts have helped me a lot first with Bruce's training, and now with Brooks. Keep on posting!!!
    Aye Barry,
    Glad ye have found the posts helpful.

Cheers Mate,
    TEAM TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos