Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just acting bizarrelly

Luna has been acting really bizarrely the past few days. She's been extremely restless, panting a lot in the house (which is abnormal for her). The temp in the house is a between 65-68, which is how it's always been set. Her eyes have occasionally looked a little bloodshot, but resolves after she blinks a few times. She'll let me pet her everywhere. Outside, she acts like her normal and exuberant self.

I'm wondering if she's sick and we should take her to the vet, or if it's just been a weird week and she's feeding off the environment. Today is Friday the 13th, and also a full moon (she has previously been quite wild on past full moons). We have had rain/thunderstorms 3 days in a row, so she has not gotten the level of exercise she normally does. We also have two visitors coming this weekend to stay with us and her birthday party with all of her friends is tomorrow. We are then taking her to a dog bed and breakfast in Vermont for Sunday.

Luna's health history: 1 year old tomorrow (Happy Birthday to her!), from a reputable breeder. The litter was exposed to kennel cough at 8 weeks, Luna was on a preventative antibiotic and never showed any symptoms. She had a recessed vulva and was allowed to go through one heat cycle which was in April. She has previously had 2 UTIs which were treated with Cefpodoxime Proxetil 150mg the first time and Amoxicillin 500mg twice daily for the second UTI. Her vaccines are below:
    Fecal Exam (Flotation) Luna 09-10-2013
    Rabies Canine, 1yr Luna 09-23-2013
    Heartworm, Lyme,Ehrl.& Anaplas Luna 09-23-2013
    DA2PPV, Booster Luna 10-07-2013
    Lyme Disease Booster Luna 04-08-2013

I'm friends with my vet, so I can easily text her anytime, but I hate saying something like "Luna's panting in the house and I don't know what's wrong". I'm hoping you guys can help out and give some advice on what to look for so I can then tell my vet. We give her HeartGard on the 1st of the month and Frontline Plus on the 15th.

I am suspecting it's just a really weird week and she'll be back to normal after her birthday, but never hurts to see what you all think! Thanks all!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Restlessness and panting is usually a sign of pain. I'd definitely take her to the vet to check it out.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Panting and restlessness signal pain. How is appetite and potty habits. If it's been a few days and you have big plans I'd probably have her checked.

I agree, those are typical pain signs. But storms and such can change them too. If you have a rectal thermometer, you could take her temp.

I would gladly pay the vet just for the reassurance. I hate to worry.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bathroom habits are totally normal, and she has a voracious appetite, as always. My friend (Luna's favorite person on earth) came over to help me take her temperature since she is a wiggle wart, and she was SO HAPPY and excited and running around and bouncing off the walls, and very good when I took her temp. Her temperature was 101.1, so totally normal. I also turned the A/C on for her, so we'll see if that helps. It's been cool, but so humid!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Go with your gut. If you think something's not right, something might not be right. I would take her to the vet for a check.

I agree, have her checked. Never doubt your gut feelings.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Did you check her body all over? When mine comes down with a hotspot, he acts really, really weird. His hotspots are in places that are hard to see. Of course, now I know, but when he was young and got one, it was a mystery at first. Could be that. A tick. An abscess. A thistle. Sometimes it's hard to see on our hairy beasts.

Also check ears, that can be an easy one to miss.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos