Right to Rescue Legislation.

I totally get the tragedy of idiot people letting their dogs die in a hot car. It is an enduring nightmare, an almost irrational horror I have had. I am am uneasy whenever I transport a dog in my car as opposed to my truck. If I saw a dog in a car on a hot day that appeared to be doing poorly, there is no question what I would do. I'd call 911, begin making a furious racket and if I couldn't get immediate assistance, I'd smash windows and rescue the dog. To heck with the consequences.

But there's this:

I'd be willing to face the music. End of story. But, I am not sanguine about legislation that relieves "rescuers" of all responsibility. The reason is that dog-distress can be in the eye of the beholder. Unfortunately, too many people view a dog in a crate as a prisoner. Or they have no sense of dog welfare or physiology. Their thinking is no deeper than "Gee... I'd hate to be in a box in that truck. So it must be bad for the doggie." Then, there are random people who object (for some reason) to animal ownership altogether. A few years ago a FT pro was asleep in a motel and someone was able to open one of the boxes on his truck and the dog ran onto the road and was immediately killed. Eons ago, I was at an OB trial, and people were told to stay by their crates because folks were releasing any dogs that appeared unattended. People are crazy.

The road to hell, as they say, is paved with good intentions. I KNOW they intention of any such legislation is utterly benign. And it may, in fact, save the lives of some dogs and cats. But I believe these statutes also foster a narrative that is more animal rights than animal welfare in nature.

I'd like to know what others think.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-03-2016), Bob Pr. (07-03-2016)

I read the legislation that passed in Florida. It doesn't just apply to animals in the car but also to people that can't physically get out of the car themselves like the elderly, babies, and young children. The law here only absolves you of liability to smash and rescue only if you call the police and remain at the scene until help arrives.

Law breakers will still break the law regardless but I think the law is a good thing. I saw on the news a puppy way too young to be away from his mother was saved from a hot car this way. Unfortunately the police gave the tiny puppy right back to the stupid people!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (07-04-2016)

Indeed... idiot owners. I hope that existing laws against animal abuse were applied and the owners ticketed and taken to court.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos