Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Labrador Quarterly Magazine

Does anyone subscribe to this? I have a feeling it's more of a breeder magazine with lots of advertisements. While very pretty, it might not serve my purpose, so wanted to see what everyone else thought. Thanks!

Puppy
    Don't know anything about Labrador Quarterly. I subscribe to Just Labs. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Does anyone subscribe to this? I have a feeling it's more of a breeder magazine with lots of advertisements. While very pretty, it might not serve my purpose, so wanted to see what everyone else thought. Thanks!
    What is your purpose? That could help us answer you better.
    It helps one see dogs around the world.
    Funny that you should ask at this time. There is a memorial in the current issue for one of the dogs on our board, Annette's Jolie.
    https://labradorquarterly.com/images..._meijntjes.jpg
    They accept a variety of articles, on performance, health, showing, rescue, etc. Even I had an article in it, a long time ago, on a rescue. Some of the show breeders are less interested in it of late.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-13-2014)

I subscribe to it, and love it.

It does have more to it than just advertisements. There are quite a few interesting articles on health and other topics as well.
    Hidden Content
    ~Cara Deo Labradors~

The LQ is probably more breeder, exhibitor, enthusiast related, but there are relevant articles for pet owners too. I published an article a few issues ago, on a puppy rearing topic. There are a few people that contribute to the obedience section that write regularly.

I would call them up and ask for a back issue, or maybe a current issue to buy, so you can breeze through it and see if you like it. The summer issue (not yet sent out) is the "Stud" issue, so you may not be into that one, so that's why I suggested a back issue. I like the summer stud issue, because there are usually a few pages with pictures of get from a stud, so you can see how he produces with different bitch lines. The stud issue is like eye candy to me.

The magazine sold a year or two ago, and the new gal Jean that runs it is very nice. It's true that a lot of people gave ceased ordering it, because it's just as easy to go to a website, I still like to read it. There is a great breeders spotlight article each issue, where they interview a prominent breeder, and they ask about how they started, and what they have accomplished over the years, etc...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    What is your purpose? That could help us answer you better.
    It helps one see dogs around the world.
    Funny that you should ask at this time. There is a memorial in the current issue for one of the dogs on our board, Annette's Jolie.
    https://labradorquarterly.com/images..._meijntjes.jpg
    They accept a variety of articles, on performance, health, showing, rescue, etc. Even I had an article in it, a long time ago, on a rescue. Some of the show breeders are less interested in it of late.
    What a wonderful memorial. Made me tear up a bit.

I'm looking for articles on performance, primarily. And health would be good, as well, but not so much breeding related. It sounds like it might be a good read. Thank you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-14-2014)

I consider it mostly a breeder magazine since most of the pages are geared towards dog advertisements. I liked it a lot more before it was sold but still subscribe.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    What a wonderful memorial. Made me tear up a bit.
    Her owner put it in there (we were a long term foster when her owner had to give her up due to her own health issues).

Beautiful memorial.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-14-2014)

I would agree with everyone who says LQ is geared more toward breeders/exhibitors. I enjoy leafing through it for the pictures, and there is usually at least one article that I really like. After I read them at home, I bring the issues into work and have them in my magazine area in my office. People (regular, non-Lab people) who come into my office almost always choose to pick up and leaf through LQ instead of the other more general magazines I have on display. The most recent issue's cover ad was from a breeder who is well-known for very dark yellow ("fox red") Labs, so people always ask me why the magazine has dogs that are not Labs on the cover. It makes for interesting office conversation.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos