Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How soon does Cold Tail onset

Hi Guys,

So it was a busy 4th.

Friday - Charlie played and wrestled with another dog
    Saturday - Beach - fetching in cold water and lots of running and walking (uphill)
    Rest- Sunday
    Monday Walked - flat ground - 2 miles
    Monday night fireworks night.. so lots of barking and running around the house.
    Tuesday am... okay.

Tuesday afternoon - I got home from work - he appears to be in pain and does favoring his back legs/thigh.
    He looks so sad
    He walked around normally, but when getting up, he was hesitant.
    Seems a bit better today, still hesitant to walk. Tail not drooping today.

I wonder if I should give it one more day before vet?

When penny had cold tail it happened that night after a long day at an event (and dock diving). she walked fine, her dial was just very sad and limp. what do you mean favouring his back legs? his front is sore? Sounds like much more than cld tail (or maybe extreme version of?)

hard to say how long i would wait to go to the vet, without knowing if that was "a lot"more exercise or how bad he's acting and if he's a wuss or stoic. Pen is a wuss so I can't run off to the vet (well I did when she tore he CCL but that was an extreme symptom) each time she limps. But other dogs rarely show pain so those ones I'd be quicker to go in if they showed ANY sign of discomfort. For a limp (which this is not so not entirely helpful) i do full rest for 7-10 days then resume activity. if limp persists I go in (or depending on severity I once just rested for three weeks but it was a minor limp on the front)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-07-2016), charlie55 (07-06-2016), doubledip1 (07-07-2016), windycanyon (07-06-2016)

For us, cold tail has happened either later that night or the next day after a long day of swimming. The tail goes an inch or so straight from the base and then droops down straight and is all sad looking.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-07-2016), charlie55 (07-06-2016), windycanyon (07-06-2016)

It was similar to dock diving for us, retrieving off a bank into a pond, in the morning (quite warm water) discomfort that night. And maybe I didn't notice the early signs. It must be pretty bad to make a Lab whimper and fidget like that, when they are usually so stoic.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

charlie55 (07-06-2016), windycanyon (07-06-2016)

Agree w/ all of the above.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

charlie55 (07-06-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    When penny had cold tail it happened that night after a long day at an event (and dock diving). she walked fine, her dial was just very sad and limp. what do you mean favouring his back legs? his front is sore? Sounds like much more than cld tail (or maybe extreme version of?)

hard to say how long i would wait to go to the vet, without knowing if that was "a lot"more exercise or how bad he's acting and if he's a wuss or stoic. Pen is a wuss so I can't run off to the vet (well I did when she tore he CCL but that was an extreme symptom) each time she limps. But other dogs rarely show pain so those ones I'd be quicker to go in if they showed ANY sign of discomfort. For a limp (which this is not so not entirely helpful) i do full rest for 7-10 days then resume activity. if limp persists I go in (or depending on severity I once just rested for three weeks but it was a minor limp on the front)
    I might have used the wrong term - it was hard to describe..but he looks more like "scared" tail tucked in.

I def. know he is not well as he allowed me to place hot packs on him. Usually he jumps right toff when I place anything on him.

I see some improvement from yesterday to today. Still the sad face which tugs at the heart.

Met this super cute 6 month old chocolate lab puppy.....Might have been what over extend him he chased that ball of energy around for a couple of hours.

I'd take him to the vet and get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.

I don't think it's a cold tail. With a cold tail, the tail just hangs and the dog can't move it. It sounds to me like he may be in pain. I'd rest him for a few days and if he doesn't improve with rest I'd pay a visit to the vet.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I think I agree with Berna. Might be more along the lines of muscle strain or muscle spasms. Its just one of those times you just wish they could speak. I feel for you and Charlie though. I know it is rough when we know something is off. Hemi had something similar once. It turned out to be muscle spasms in his neck and shoulders. Which I thought it was legs. Hemi's vet is a sports medicine and sports recovery vet so she got to the main problem right away. It is totally up to you but if it were up to me, I would take him in.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

charlie55 (07-07-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos