Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog Events: What do you take?

So if you are going to a test or a trial or a show... and it's some distance away... what do you take with you? (Besides requisite dog equipment and your suitcase of clothes, etc.)

When I go to a HT, I cannot eat. I have no appetite. I am obsessed with watching all the dogs run. I don't realize I'm hungry until everything is packed up and I'm back in the truck. So what has worked for me is:

For the long drive to the event... nuts and graham crackers. Maybe some dried fruit.

For the event... raisin bread and creamed cheese in the morning... anything spread on bread in the afternoon. (I am going to make some chicken salad. I love pimento cheese. I could also take some peanut butter.) I'll have corn chips with me, but in the past... they have not appealed to me.

What works for you when you are at an event all day long?

As far as food goes, I typically take an insulated small cooler with some sort of salad (egg or tuna) and some crackers. Maybe a little fruit. Coffee, of course. And lots of water. If I don't bring food I'll be hungry. But, like you, I typically don't eat much because I'm busy or distracted.

Senior Dog
    I like to take nuts, cashews or pistachios to nibble on. We usually have red and black licorice which we share among the gallery. I too do not eat during the trial but if I think I am going to want something it is usually cheese, crackers and pepperettes. It often ends up coming home with me or thrown out before we leave the motel. We are bad about not drinking enough at these events because there is never any washrooms. For the events here we always have a pot-a-potty. This year we had two so there would be one over at the ponds they use for water.At the end of the day we hit a nice restaurant.

I don't have an answer here, just commenting that I've never heard of pepperettes and had to look them up. Are they kind of a regional item?
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Even with Port-a-Potties (or because of them) my hands feel grossly contaminated with dogs, pond-water, bloody, sticky ducks etc. I always have plenty of hand wipes in my sack-o-dog-stuff.

I always bring water from home for myself and the dogs so they can drink water their systems are used to. So many germs and grossness at shows. There is a contingent of my friends that ALWAYS brings good deli bologna to shows. That's their thing. Me and my usual pop-up tent mates bring crackers, cheese, fruit and breakfast bars/granola. We always have copious snacks for evenings at hotels. There is no scenario in which I want to be hungry, and it's better for everyone if I don't get "hangry."

Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    I always bring water from home for myself and the dogs so they can drink water their systems are used to. So many germs and grossness at shows. There is a contingent of my friends that ALWAYS brings good deli bologna to shows. That's their thing. Me and my usual pop-up tent mates bring crackers, cheese, fruit and breakfast bars/granola. We always have copious snacks for evenings at hotels. There is no scenario in which I want to be hungry, and it's better for everyone if I don't get "hangry."
    No, no, no... You never want to see you "hangry"! (LOL)

We like Hummus and either pita chips, or something like Wheat Thins. Fruit, salami, cheese, carrot sticks, or a cheese & fruit tray to share is always nice. Good sliced turkey breast and string cheese is really good too for a quick protein boost, for man or dog. The key for us is quick and easy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

dxboon (07-08-2016)

Senior Dog
    I don’t eat much at shows, so just make sure I have coffee on the way there, plenty of water for me and the dog, and maybe a granola bar or an apple for me. I’m not usually there all day though .... most of the time I can be done by early afternoon and leave so can grab food on the way home or when I get home depending on how far it is. Even when I’ve done shows that I stay overnight for, I usually just snack during the day and then go out with friends to a restaurant later for dinner.

Now the dog on the other hand .... TONS of different snacks, LOL.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Water from home for Scout (he doesn't like to drink during show/trials, so i usually add in some GoDog to it, that seems to get him to drink more), usually cheese sticks (kinda like those cheese string things only real cheese from a nicer brand, both of us can eat them). If its more than one day i'll have hauled Scout's trailer, so i make sure in the fridge i have yogurt, and usually sliced up apples (seem to taste even better that way...), some grapes for me, and usually sandwich fixings, plus whatever its my turn to bring for dinner. theres normally several folks i know, so we tend to bbq at the trailer one evening, and go out another, and usually take the lunch break back at the trailer. Nice thing about the trailer is there's always a washroom, and sink to wash hands in!

I've developed a bit of an addition to Belvita Breakfast Biscuits, so usually have a box of those handy, as well as some kind of granola bar. The truck has heavy-duty hand wipes, and regular hand wipes in it. I feel lost if i don't have my insulated stainless drink container - usually freeze a bit of water in it the night before, then add half apple cider and half water, it stays cool for most of the day, and if its late fall winter early spring, it will keep tea hot for hours.

If the trailer is coming, i usually bring my little generator along just in case (i can just lift it into the truck by myself, and with the mods i made to the trailer AC unit, it will run that), and if its going to be warm out (like this Sunday's trial) i'll bring my battery booster pack thingy to take into the venue, it can power several people's crate fans, as well as charge phones etc. for the day.

I try to leave the trailer ready to go, just add food and clothes. And the truck is just add collapsible dog crate and folding chair, and the show bag or field bag depending on venue.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

The place we did most of our Rally trials always hired a local small restaurant to cater and they made fabulous sandwiches and baked goodies. I think they put two whole eggs into one egg salad sandwich, they were so full. I always planned to buy my lunch there and only needed to bring a drink and apple, water for both of us.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos