Nationwide - just say no.

We had VPI Pet Insurance for 11 years. Nationwide bought them and there was a transition period of about one year. Now all traces of VPI have been eradicated and Nationwide is barely paying anything. We had to cancel. We were barely getting anything back. As an example, Nikki had an operation on her eyelid. They reimbursed 10% of the cost. Did the math and it is absolutely not worth it. I figured that even if an insurance company didn't do much on the day to day, they would be there for the big costs for at least 40%. That was our experience with VPI. Nationwide advertises 90% but it's for the little things. They did that for the anesthesia for the surgery and just bailed on the actual surgery.

Anyway, we canceled. Very poor investment. Don't bother.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-14-2016)

That's such a bummer to hear. I got VPI for thor when we brought him home (as my first lab puppy I was expecting the worst!) and have fortunately never had to use it. I get a discount through my employer and it's something like a $12 deduction straight out of my paycheck - I don't even notice it. I hope to never have to use it, especially now it sounds like.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

I'm very happy with Nationwide/VPI.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

I have been considering a change with them as well. However they are pretty good. Not sure what level you had. I think I spend about $470 a year but I have a much higher level. All of Hemi preventative care is covered in the the $500 a year. so I do get about $250 back per year sometimes more depending what he is due for. The bi-yearly check up and vaccinations and so on they always pay with no issues, also heart worm and flea they pay with no questions. I just have not met my deductible with Hemi for them to pay for anything else. Which I guess is a good thing though, I have a happy healthy Hemi. The first year though, I got way more back than I paid them. All the puppy vaccinations, vet visits, the time he decided to bite a bee and learned bees bite back on a Sunday morning so ER care.

Since they have become Nationwide, I do see a lot more perks. Free bark boxes, free treats, discounts at pet stores, those kind of things. So I am undecided really.

if i could get pet insurance for $500 or less a year that would be a no brainer almost :P (assuming coverage is half decent). anything here (canada) seems to be 1000$$++ a year (for young mixed breed dog).

I used to do some insurance loss work w/ Nationwide... it was a great company at the time.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

I had everything they offered. Cancer rider, wellness, superior plan, whole nine yards. Even one bad adjuster can really mess up a company but whether it's that, the company as a whole or they don't like covering seniors, I had three extremely minimal pay outs over the last six months. 10% of a surgery is nuts. It's just not worth the premiums. Our three cost over $200 a month so we're done. We never had that experience when it was VPI.

I posted this thread mostly because I recommended them at one point and am very disappointed in the turnaround so I'm revoking that recommendation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (07-15-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos