Dealing with the Summer Heat

Although we are not originally from Texas we have lived here for many years and very used to the summer heat. I am always searching for new ways to help my guys and ME(!) stay cool when we are outside. Personally, I was raised as an outdoor person (kid) and need to be out doing work. I love having my dogs with me so whenever I am out so are they.

When we moved to this home the previous owners did zero in terms of upgrades and just made babies. Good for me since I didn't have to undo any messes which was a first. Quickly we planted a Chinese Pistasche in the back yard to provide shade not just for the dogs but also for the lawn. That sucker is good and grown where the benefits are working. The other basics that I keep in order are two new elevated dog beds, 24" industrial fan (always on), TWO plastic kiddie pools filled with 50 gallons of fresh water which is placed under the tree.

They have two places to escape the heat. Under the tree and under the patio overhang where their beds are tucked way back with the fan on them. Nice and dry.

I do not leave them pout in weather that is too hot by any stretch. People joke about the temps in Texas being a "dry" heat but it is true to some degree (no pun intended). Mid 90's is nothing here but when it gets to 99+ I pull the flags and keep them inside during those temps.

What are you (inexpensive) suggestions or remedies to deal with the summer heat?
    Last edited by Lobo; 06-14-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Temps can reach 115 to 120 here in Las Vegas. We pretty much avoid going outside after 10 am or so unless its for a quick potty. Zoey plays in her little pool in the evenings. We beat the heat on the weekends by going to the lake or up to the mountains for the day.

Its just not safe for anyone to be out in that kind of heat. The dogs have no desire to be out in the extreme heat, half the time they refuse to even go potty

House Broken
    Same here in Arizona, it may be a "dry" heat but it is unimaginably hot. It is not fit for human or animal to be out in it for any amount of time. We have a very shady lawn and in the heat of the day, even the grass feels hot to the touch. My guys are currently laying flat out on the tile floor under the ceiling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    People joke about the temps in Texas being a "dry" heat but it is true to some degree (no pun intended). Mid 90's is nothing here but when it gets to 99+ I pull the flags and keep them inside during those temps.
    West Texas has a dry heat. Dallas is awful, not as bad as East or SE Texas but still humid and it makes it much worse than the actual temp. I love a dry heat but for some reason, never seem to live where that occurs. What amazes me is when people say they get used to it. I never have.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos