Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: maybe next year

maybe next year

I plan on getting a second dog. I would like to hear any recommendations for a smaller breed that would get along with Chili but not so small they may be easy targets to get stepped on and not dogs that can/like to jump 4 foot fences/gates. Just starting my thought process early.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

i always recommend rescuing a "one of a kind right fit for you" rescue dog when people are not too set on a specific breed/requirement With a solid rescue that uses foster homes you should have an idea of temperament before adopting (though with very young puppies less so).

I like corgi's not sure i'd ever own one but they are cute!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (07-19-2016), Labradorks (07-18-2016), voodoo (07-18-2016)

I thought about rescuing a dog, just dont know if I would be a good judge on how to detect any behavioral issues.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    I thought about rescuing a dog, just dont know if I would be a good judge on how to detect any behavioral issues.
    most dogs in rescue just have issues with training. I'd say a small proportion have true behavioral issues. If you really want to avoid those, go with a rescue that is 2 years of age so has hit maturity (a 6 month old may have some quirky issues pop up when they hit maturity - happened to me with Penny) and has been in foster care for 3-4 weeks (or more). Depends if your tolerance for issues is very low.

With random rescue litters people think they are "better off" but you still have nature playing a factor there no matter how much nurture you put in. but most turn out fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

voodoo (07-18-2016)

Our second dog Lily just fell into our lap. For years my husband alway said he was a "Lab man" and if he ever got another breed it would be no smaller than a beagle. Well, I signed up to foster a bulldog mix and one thing led to another and the next thing I know I'm picking up a four pound nothing wiener dog. She's about eleven pounds now and is a great match with our Daisy. Everyone that meets her always remarks that she's not the typical small dog, she has a big dog bark in that tiny little body of hers and a lot of personality. She even does agility with Daisy. Labs are such an easy going breed, they really could get along with any breed, big or small.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

voodoo (07-18-2016)

I second a Corgi, they are great dogs, and funny, and get along great with Labradors.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-19-2016), ZoeysMommy (07-19-2016)

Trying to think of other breeds. the ones I want tend to be a bit...much. kelpie, border collie, cattle dog, gsp, weim...

ohoh frenchie!! or boston terrier!

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    Our second dog Lily just fell into our lap. For years my husband alway said he was a "Lab man" and if he ever got another breed it would be no smaller than a beagle. Well, I signed up to foster a bulldog mix and one thing led to another and the next thing I know I'm picking up a four pound nothing wiener dog. She's about eleven pounds now and is a great match with our Daisy. Everyone that meets her always remarks that she's not the typical small dog, she has a big dog bark in that tiny little body of hers and a lot of personality. She even does agility with Daisy. Labs are such an easy going breed, they really could get along with any breed, big or small.
    haha aww - i love when you fall in love with a dog that is nothing like what you thought you wanted (same with me and Penny) :P

If I ever got a small dog, it would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Have always liked them. Although their is a lady in my Rally class that has a Corgi, and boy is he cute, with loads of personality.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (07-19-2016), Charlotte K. (07-19-2016), voodoo (07-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    If I ever got a small dog, it would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Have always liked them. Although their is a lady in my Rally class that has a Corgi, and boy is he cute, with loads of personality.
    so i never really liked them (King Charles). but I ran into my dog walker the other day and she had one and I gotta say… i was pretty smitten with her right away. super lovey wanting me to love her. and he was cute. not at all annoying and great with Rocky (who ignores dogs).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-19-2016)

my nephew has a miniture weiner dog and she barks and barks and barks at everything. is that breed specific or just "this" dog?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos