Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pimple type bump?

I am kicking myself for not having taken a photo to show here but I will when I get home. A few weeks ago I noticed a pimple type bump on Dakota's back leg right on the curve of leg and it was small, like a pimple a person would get. I left it alone and actually forgot about it until Saturday night I saw her licking the area and when I pulled her away I saw it had popped and was bleeding. It was then that I saw it had gotten a bit bigger, like from smaller than a pencil eraser to a bit larger than a pencil eraser. It bled a bit and I put some cold water adn wash cloth on it to help ease any burning if there was any...Sunday I went to the pet store and got her some gel type solution for wounds it says. No more bleeding, and after a while with the medicine on it it appeared to be getting a crusty kind of top layer and looking better, not raw anymore. So she still wants to lick periodically but she easily leaves it alone when I ask her to.

What could this be?? I still haven't recovered financially from Montana's last few months ugh. I just wanted to get back from that before taking Dakota in for her annual but it looks like I can't wait. I felt it a bit and it feels very soft & squishy, and I don't feel any of it going under her skin-like a root type of thing-none of that--does that make sense? My husband said maybe she got a bug bite...?

Could be a bug bite that she has just aggravated to the point where it could not heal and maybe got infected. Archie is having his dental today and the vet is also going to check the spot on his leg that is through to be one of his "bumps" but it got infected because he kept licking it. He was on antibiotics and doing fine. Just the last few days it's at it again - UGH. The trick might be to put Dakota in a cone and see how the area acts, resolving or not.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-18-2016)

when i mentioned the cone of shame she just blinked at me. She has NEVER been in a cone. It's a good idea though. thanks. And I saw they have soft ones at the pet store...

I have used a soft one from PetsMart. Just make sure she can't reach around it. Something as easy to get as Neosporin Pain and cleaning daily may be all that is needed. It's when they continue to lick the problems start cropping up.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I got home and it looked good, I put more medicine on it & she licked it and it looked yucky again. For goodness sake. -imag3199-jpg-imag3198-jpg And I felt it again and now it feels a bit harder than I originally thought. Maybe I just didn't really wanna feel it, although still no root kind of thing, like this is in the top layers of skin only.
    Gosh I worry like an idiot anymore....

From this photo, it almost looks like a histiocytoma that got licked too many times. If it really looked like a pimple, it could have been a small abscess.

Neosporin, peroxide etc. all the stuff we use on us, works just as good on dogs. I wouldn't have bothered with pet store OTC ointments.

I would let it heal, and even a little licking from the dog isn't bad. If it get bigger, I would see the vet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-20-2016)

[QUOTE=MontananDakota;128198]I got home and it looked good, I put more medicine on it & she licked it and it looked yucky again. For goodness sake. -imag3199-jpg-imag3198-jpg And I felt it again and now it feels a bit harder than I originally thought. Maybe I just didn't really wanna feel it, although still no root kind of thing, like this is in the top layers of skin only.
    Gosh I worry like an idiot anymore....[/QUOTE]

An idiot you are NOT, just a loving, caring person for your dear Dakota. Wish more people were like you and so many others here!!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-20-2016)

thanks girls I appreciate you taking the time look at it & reply!
    JenC-after I posted this picture I saw something on Animal Planet, one of the vet shows had the vet looking at something similar and he said "histiocytoma" . Yes when I first saw it, it was smaller.
    Yesterday I got home from work and checked it and it looked dry, pretty good, no blood and it was closed so I left it alone and didn't put any more med. on it. Maybe this will heal...
    thanks again!
    Oh and I woke up this morning, after she slept up against my leg all night as usual-had a tick biting me on the front of my thigh (silent scream). ugh. I hate ticks. I guess he or she didn't like the smell of the K9Adv. Dakota is wearing so they hopped over to me. Lovely.

House Broken
    Doesn't look like the typical histiocytoma that I see on dogs. The common name for them is a button tumor and they are small, round, and a nice line of demarcation. It looks like it has a draining tract and if that is the case, and it is not near the anus, it is likely to be from a bug bite or foreign body penetration. Just keep some topical antibiotic on it and see what it is going to do. Doesn't look serious to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Thomas, DVM For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-28-2016)

I don't know, looks pretty circular to me, just that the dog may have chewed the top a bit. Wrigley had one on her side recently. Fortunately out of mouth-reach. Healed up in no time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-28-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos