House Broken

Arthritis - suggestions?

My girl, Shasta, is 12 years old and has some weakness in her back end and arthritis in at least one of her back legs/knees.

With regards to arthritis, which do you think would be the most beneficial?

Acupuncture
    Adequan shots
    FitPaws
    Swimming

I am guessing it would be either the Acupuncture or the shots.

I would really like to do the swimming but the place here the offers it is quite expensive.
    Guessing it’s because she’s the only pool geared towards dogs in the area.

I would also like to do a few, but that gets a bit cost prohibitive.

Thanks

-20160614_074341_resized-jpg

What works best is going to be highly individual, based on extent of the arthritis, where it is, and your dog's tolerances. Any of the things you mention could help. You left out chiropractic, pain meds, TCM, Glucosamine or other supplements and massage.

You know what helped my girl with early arthritis in her shoulder? MORE exercise. Really, I read about weekend warriors, decided to increase her mid week outings so that the 2 to 4 hour outings were not only on the weekend and was able to completely stop the Cartrophen Vet shots she was taking. Kept giving her Glucosamine/Chondroitin. That held her for over three years till her back went out at age 12.5.

What's your Vet's suggestion as to what's best?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

TXLabLover (07-22-2016)

I would start with supplements if you aren't doing them already. Fish Oil, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM/hyaluronic acid. Then if those don't work, you can do adequan shots and other more dramatic options.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (07-22-2016), TXLabLover (07-22-2016)

House Broken
    Snowshoe - The only thing my vet mentioned was Adequan shots. I wanted to look at other things that might work as well.

As for supplements I currently give her Hylasport & Freeform Snip Tips (Omegas3s). I have also ordered some T-Relief Arthritis caps which are supposed to help. I'm also thinking about adding Vitamin C. I've also read that Golden Paste (Turmeric, etc) is supposed to help and I'm looking into making some of that.

Why only one thing? Definitely start supplementing with glucosamine & chondroitine. Vitamin C is said to be helpful as it acts as an antiinflamatory. You can add fish oil (salmon oil) as omega 3s also help with inflamation. Turmeric (turmeric paste) is believed to help with pain associated with arthritis. Swimming is great for arthritic joints as it helps build and maintain muscle tone without stressing the joints. Physical therapy and acupuncture also give great results.

I have a 10 year old with hip dysplasia, he has gone through knee and hip surgery, and he also has spondylosis. I supplement his food with YuMove (Glucosamine, Chondroitine, green lipped mussel, vitamin C and MSM), salmon oil, turmeric paste and bone broth. He swims regularly since the weather got warmer. We also do physical therapy, stretching exercises, passive range of motion exercises and muscle strengthening exercises. We are trying to strengthen his FHO leg which had significant muscle atrophy, and also to help with the other joints and his spine. Right now he doesn't have any problems except with the FHO leg which is still weak.

No NSAIDs for now and I'll try to stay away from them as long as possible.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

TXLabLover (07-22-2016)

House Broken
    Berna, by one thing I was referring to the more expensive things (acupuncture, adequan shots, etc).
    Really I would love to do it all, but my wallet can not afford it.
    I am leaning towards going back to the Holistic Vet we went to a few years back when she had the MCT removed to have her do a check up on Shasta and possibly do acupuncture.

I already give her the Hylapsort which is Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM & Hylaronic Acid. I also give her Omega 3s in the form of Snip Tips.
    I had thought about Vitamin C, thank you for mentioning it again. I need to research dosages, etc and start her on this as well.

I really appreciate everyone's help & suggestions.

Aside from the supplements, range of motion exercises could be helpful. It takes time to get them relaxed and accept it but once you do, it helps. It was a ritual here after dinner and dishes done, my seniors would lay down in the living room and I would do them. Also, exercise as tolerated to keep the muscles and joints moving. For some of mine it was a short slow walk, for others it was to the end of the driveway and back. They loved being outside smelling all the pee mail, etc so it made them happy campers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

TXLabLover (07-24-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos