Suggestions on if supplements/food changes are needed?

My Lulu is turning 8 this fall, although she still acts the same as she did at 2. She's not gray around the face much yet and she's still got a lot of pep in her step. I want to start being more proactive, because even though she's not showing much sign of aging yet, she still is starting to get up there. Her weight is pretty good (she fluctuates between 52-55lbs and is small for a lab, only 19" at the shoulder), she doesn't seem to be stiff or sore much. But we do live in snow country now and I've heard from other dog owners out here that the altitude and the cold all winter can start to get to older dogs, especially bigger breeds. The vet said to start doing some research on what I'd like to maybe try and then we can discuss it what he does/does not recommend at her vaccinations update visit in the fall. He didn't seem overly concerned with getting her started on anything yet, which is good, and I will consult him before I start anything.

I'm just curious as to what is recommended/suggested by other lab owners? I've thought about introducing glucosamine for her joints, but there's so many different types. She also is stil on her regular dog food (Purine One Smartblend), but should I consider slowly switching her to a "senior" brand? Are there any other supplements, foods, treats, etc. that y'all use to help with the aging process? I want her to keep feeling good, which is why I'm wanting to be proactive, but I've never had a large breed senior dog before (we lost our family golden at 8 to cancer), so I'm not sure where to start. Also, is there anything I can do once winter comes to help keep those joints from getting stiff? She LOVES to run and play and roll in the snow. I usually keep a winter dog blanket on her if we're going for a longer walk or staying out more, just cause I'm a worry wart. I want her to be able to keep doing what she loves and keep her feeling healthy and happy.

Chase will be 10 in September and is still eating his regular food, the same food 3 year old Lark eats, the same food he's been eating for several years. He stays around 85-90 pounds and has since he was about a year old, I just feed him less now than I did before. I supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin with MSM (specifically Dasuquin or Cosequin with MSM per my vet's recommendation but many others are used here as well), Vitamin C and fish oil. He's been getting them for about 3 years, not for symptoms but because I had to put Lark on supplements for some limping, so they both got the same things.

Chase loves going out in the snow, will lie outside in a blizzard given the opportunity, and has fortunately not had any problems related to cold, exercise, or anything else. He does seem a bit stiff in the back end but when he had a tooth extracted recently and had to be on Rimadyl and Tramadol for about 3 days, he didn't seem to run around any more happily than he usually does so I don't think he's in particular pain. I have several orthopedic beds or memory foam beds available for him but right now, as he usually does, he's lying on the rug between the sofa and one of the very expensive beds we got him.

If Lulu is doing well on her current food, I don't think you need to change it- senior foods don't have enough glucosamine or chondroitin to make a therapeutic difference. If you need supplements, I'd do it separately. JenC said she's started feeding ProPlan Bright Minds to one of her older girls. I'll be interested to see if it seems to make any difference cognitively. I only recall one other person on here saying they give their dog any sort of supplement for cognition.

Zoey my black lab is also going on 8 and like your lab she is very healthy, slim and showing no signs of slowing down yet but I am also interested in some sort of supplements for her so I will be watching this post with you

Senior Dog
    I never change their food simply because of age ... I just keep an eye on their weight. 8 is still quite young to me - Chloe is 7 and actively competing in Obedience and I hope she will continue to compete for at least 2-3 more years. Mulder, who was much bigger (24 inches and 85lbs) didn’t retire until he was 11 and didn’t really start with age related problems until he was almost 14 (he was a month shy of 16 when we lost him).

I do give my dogs joint supplements from an early age, just in case it can help repair minor wear and tear damage and thus put off the onset of problem. I don’t know if it works as it’s not a controlled experiment, but I figure it won’t hurt. We use a human supplement (either Move Free Plus MSM or the generic equivalent if I can find it).
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos