Best Friend Retriever

here's a post that's easy to ignore

Today I left a post about the heat outside before I realized a couple members were dealing with loss or pending loss of their life-long friends. So I was wondering; is it/would it be possible to ask the administrator to have a special category where perhaps the post would come up in red denoting a grieving member? Then we could then let him/her have the forum for the day and not post fluff, there's plenty of time for that.
    Bad idea? Not workable? Not necessary?
    I know that many of you have more clout here then I ever will and just wanted to bounce it off you.
    thanks,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie For This Useful Post:

Berna (07-25-2016), MikeLynn (07-24-2016)

Bernie, good idea. I would like a way to see these posts immediately when I log in.

Why don't you post this in the "Ask the Administrator" (or something like that) section so Woody will be sure to see it? He's very good about monitoring that section and replying.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I too think it is a good idea. Today I am vacillating between grief of lose for members and joy of puppy pleasures. It's kind of difficult to say what you really are feeling.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

I also like the idea.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I am not necessarily sure I like the idea at least as you stated. Here is why. I think most of us come here for the fun and uplifting humor of all our labs. We also come here to learn and share. Yes there is the good and the bad. However, there is always someone with something bad going on, a death, a injury, a problem of some sort. The good helps balance out the bad. You shouldn't feel bad about posting fluff because that helps offset the bad things that happen. Most of it turns humorous and funny. So there is nothing wrong with it. Humor can also help with the loss and grief.

I personally can't sit there and read about bad things and just bad things going on with no good things to go along with it. So giving a grieving member the board for a day, well would just be depressing, I would probably spend less and less time on the forums. It is not that I don't feel for the individual loss. It is more it consumes me. I can feel the loss very strongly, it also makes me worry and fear for Hemi and his mortality. It is why I can not comment in the rainbow bridge section. I read them but feel the loss too much to really comment. If this was all the forum had for a day, every day one of our pups crossed the bridge, the forums would honestly be too depressing to come to.

Anyway, my thought, you did nothing wrong posting fluff and glad you did.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bernie (07-25-2016), JackK (07-25-2016), katALlabs (07-25-2016), Tanya (07-25-2016)

Jeff your insight is uplifting and inspiring to us all. You may be right, I just don't know.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

I think this is a good idea- but I also think sometimes we need a little light shined on our tough day..
    Kim & Khloe - Nov. 18th, 2015

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever
    Glad to see different points of view.
    I also had to put my last dog down and the thought of laughing over fluff while one was dealing with such bothered me.
    Jeff's post helps, here's another thought; perhaps we can't help you at that moment in time but we'll be here when you're ready
    to come back.
    floor is open..............

I don't think posts can be marked in that manner, but Woody will know for sure. We have the Rainbow Bridge for passed friends. So there's that.

As y'all know what's going on in my life this week but I have to agree with Jeff on this. I need the uplifting posts mixed in.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos