Thread: Recall Race!

Recall Race!

One of our local obedience clubs hosts a summer show at our expo center. They are great to the obedience people and offer all or most of the CGC tests and a practice ring. This year, they also had a barn hunt match and a recall race. It was a blast!

I hung out on Saturday just to get my dog acclimated to the space and work in the practice ring. He has come a long way and after some initial acclimation time (in my lap) was ready to work. He ended up having a great time, worked really well in the strange space and even got a Novice Barn Hunt Q when my friend signed us up and paid for it. I didn't know what to do, but he sure did!

So, the recall race happened during lunch. They put the CGC and warm up rings together to make one long ring, then they sprinkled a box of plush toys along the path and strategically placed empty bowls all over, too. You paid a dollar per run. Your dog doesn't need a stay as someone was there to hold the dog if you wanted. You could use toys, food, or whatever you wanted, to get the dog to come to you at the other end. It was timed, but the dogs were not placed in categories by size or anything (though it looks like they might next time as they were collecting that data on FB after the fact).

The top three dogs shared the kitty with the club. We did not win, but were in the top 20 and probably one of the heaviest dogs there. The little dogs had an advantage as the space allowed for them to get to top speed. There were over 60 runs and it was so popular they did it again today (I wasn't there sadly).

Most of the dogs did great ignoring the toys, but the few dogs that didn't were hilarious! The terriers, as a whole, had a really hard time just saying no. The little dogs would hop over the toys. And the dogs like mine would just plow through everything.

Yesterday's winners were a cattle dog (third place), a toller (second) and a Mudi (a Hungarian herding dog that is gaining popularity, especially in agility).

That was a good event. For me all the participants are winner! Because that was a unforgettable experience or event!

Sounds like a fun day!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos