Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dishwasher Drama

We just got a new dishwasher on Friday. Our old one had something wrong with the door and it wouldn't go through a cycle without the door popping open. We spent a lot of money trying to fix it and finally gave up and bought a new one. I love the new one! Anyway, Sam was helping with the prewash and had his big old head inside the dishwasher licking plates. I kept shooing him away until he finally got the message and took his head out. I couldn't believe what happened next. The tags on his collar somehow got caught on the bottom rack. Sam panicked and tried to get free by running out of the the kitchen and the entire fully loaded bottom rack went flying out of the dishwasher onto the floor. The noise it made was so loud and Sam was terrified and just wanted to get out of there. His tags are on his collar with a small key ring hooked onto a carabiner and the key ring pulled straight, his tags went flying and he was finally free. I was so afraid to look at the mess on my floor. I figured my dishes were broken or the wheels on the rack were broken and when I finally looked, I couldn't believe it, everything survived the lab prewash cycle with the exception of one bowl with a small chip in it! Sam now thinks the new dishwasher is evil and is giving it a wide berth! Poor guy was terrified but I wonder how long he will be able to stay away before he gives into temptation and he's back to licking dishes?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (07-27-2016)

I can't help but laugh picturing this spectacle, of course after reading that he was ok and so was the new dish washer.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Really glad it turned out ok.

New dishwasher is defective mom. Bad Lab Prewash cycle, send it back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (07-27-2016)

Bacon doesn't get to experience the pre wash, his tummy is too sensitive. Poor Sam, the dishwasher attacked you!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

I would have loved to have seen this!! But poor Sam, I hope he gets over his fear of the dishwasher so he can get back to his prewash duties!!!

I have had that exact thing happen with all my guys! and they normally don't wear collars in the house....so the odds are way off for it to happen. When it happened to Scout, I managed to "trap" his body in my legs and unclip his collar before too much mayhem could ensue. Mags was a younger pup, and had a buckle collar, and managed to get the rack out of the kitchen and into the livingroom before stopping. Pocco got stuck in the doorway of the kitchen with it, and was pulling so hard, he actually bent the prong of the dishwasher that he was caught on.
    But.... all of them were back at the open dishwasher trying to do the lab pre-rinse cycle within a day or 2.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

The exact same thing happened to Thor when he was about 4 months old. At the time I was trying to get him not NOT participate in the pre-wash since he would try to crawl in the whole thing. Luckily the only items I had in the basket were a couple of frying pans, so although they were loud and heavy, they didn't break.

He hasn't gone near the dishwasher since!

And I switched to a locking mini carabiner for his tags!
    Amazon.com : Nite Ize S-Biner Steel MicroLock : Home Improvement
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Exact same thing happened to my sister's dog. Plus the dog cut a pad when one of the glasses broke. She's back licking. Gives me the heebie jeebies, Sis puts sharp knives in there.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Sis puts sharp knives in there.
    They won't be sharp for long if she's dish washing them!! Hopefully she puts the point side down!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos