Thread: Skunked

Skunked

Yup, that'd be Scout, at about 3:40am this morning. He woke me up to go out, as usual, i turned on the big floodlights for the backyard, put his e-collar on, opened the door and didn't do the normal banging with it, walked out onto the deck and he had already gone down to the yard to the left side of the deck, which is his favourite pee spot in the middle of the night.

I heard a small sound, almost like a cough/yip, then snorting, i called him and almost at the same time, yuck what a stench. he came running up on the deck and i looked at him, and he didnt look like he had any spray on him, decided to get him inside before the smell got attached to both of us. As soon as i got into the back hall/kitchen, i knew he'd been hit. Didn't want to toss him back out for fear he;d go find the skunk and get sprayed again, so told him "stand, stay", grabbed the 2 big dog beds, the little flat dog bed and the mat from the back door and tossed them into the garage (didnt want him to rub on them, or for them to grab the odour either). Poor guy was standing there where i left him looking a bit sorry for himself.

Ran to the computer room, looked up the skunk solution recipe, grabbed the ingredients, grabbed an old tshirt and shorts that i'd been painting in earlier, stripped out of my jammies and housecoat, hustled back to the kitchen to be met with a wall of odour. ick. on goes the stovetop vent fan, the windows get opened, Scout gets unceramoniously stuffed back onto the deck, and i mix up the ingredients. Grab an old clean rag, and go out and proceed to try and carefully get it all over his face, then less carefully spread it over the rest of him. make him stand-wait again while i go rummage thru the dog closet looking for shampoo. then carefully try and rinse his face, then the rest of him, then the shampoo fun begins.

He figures now its a game. not sure who got more of a bath. after that, he smelt not too bad, but kitchen still reeked, so wiped down any hard surface (table legs, door frames, side of the one cabinet) with baking soda, then wipe the entire floor with baking soda, and just leave the residue sitting on it. stripped down, dumped clothes and his collar into the washing machine, then realized the pjs and housecoat stunk too, so added that.
    sprayed fabreeze on the kitchen floor, and we were back in bed by 5:30. yikes. it had stopped raining right about the time he went out and go skunked, thankfully, as it was a lightening storm.

At lunch when i let him out he had a faint odor, and the kitchen just smelled weird. so we'll see tonight. just want a solid night sleep tonight!

Anyone try the nature's miracle skunk off? wondering if i should stock up on that as well as the ingredients for the other skunk recipe.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Yuck. Of course it would be the wee hours of the morning. The only lucky part is it was warm enough to bath him outside. The last time Oban got it was January. I use Skunk Off, it works. When I washed my own clothing and towelling I put it in the laundry too. You are going to smell that in the house for weeks. We set many saucers of vinegar out to absorb the odour, not sure how much it helped but easy to do.

SKUNK-OFF®
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (07-28-2016)

House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)
    When Puff and I lived in Topeka and walked a couple miles every morning in a nearby nature preserve (w/deer, foxes, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, etc.), I always took skunk-deodorizing stuff with me in my jacket and also had several varieties in stock at home.

Never had to use it, thankfully. But I recommend every one with a dog and ANY possibility of it encountering a skunk have some on hand -- like, fortunately you did.

I've seen that stuff on Amazon Snowshoe, just not sure if Ren's or Petsmart carry it -heading out from work now and will stop and see. Yes, thankfully it was warm out. and had stopped the thunderstorm.
    I left out about 5 fruit nappies with baking soda in them all around the kitchen, plus left the window open and the stove vent exhaust running all night. I'm sure those 2 things helped! I found out last night/this morning that i was entirely out of vinegar, so doing a grocery stop as well tonight.

The one thing i can't get a handle on the smell is his e-collar - one side of it stinks. the collar part is that biothane like stuff - the lighter-than-normal-collar-weight webbing coated in that flexible plasticy stuff. I left it in the sink last night coated in baking soda, but it still smelled this morning, so coated it again, taking extra care this time to get the baking soda into all the buckle holes on the collar.
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:

We have a gallon of Natures Miracle in the garage. Just in case. Any time we let Mocha out after dark it's on a 25 foot lead.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Sounds like you got it quickly. Each time for ours it was early in the morning and they had dashed inside and rolled on carpeting. Have not tried Nature's Miracle skunk stuff but did find it at PetsMart and bought some. Did you use the baking soda, Dawn and HP recipe? Used it each time and it worked for us. Much easier to get off the dog and the house. I hope there is not another time but know it's only a matter of time.

Air everything out as much as possible. The collar, hang it outside in the sun. Thought I lost a lovely leather pocketbook but several days outside did the trick. Good ol' Mother Nature does the job.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Yes Fran, that was the mixure i used (although no idea whats in my sink soap dispenser any longer..likely a different brand than Dawn). No luck at Ren's last night - they had 2 different things i'd never heard of, and they were both shampoos, not stink removers. but did stock up on HP and baking soda!
    His e-collar still REALLY stinks.
    went to petsmart this morning, they had the nature's miracle Skunk, so bought that and will try that on the collar and on him when i go home at lunch to let him out. my clothing i had washed with baking soda and laundry soap, and everything smelled fine, i hung them out yesterday morning to dry on the line. didn't take them in at lunch because a few things weren't quite dry, and then we got a monsoon of a storm just after dinnertime, so they've been well-aired. weren't quite dry this morning, so hopefully when i get home at lunch they will be.
    Thinking a thorough scrubbing of the kitchen with the NM Skunk solution, and hoping thats the end of it.
    He moved so fast when i called him, but not sure if it was because i called, or because he'd already gotten sprayed. next thing on the list is using the rest of the deer fencing to seal off under the deck so the skunk can't be under there. and re-train Scout to use his pee rock off the deck steps for his middle-of-the-night-pee's - i can see that and would know if there was a skunk waddling by it!
    Missing:

Bandit and Melody got skunked twice, in two weeks, with skunks coming in to eat the seeds tossed out of the bird feeder which of course was right at the corner of the deck, right where the dogs needed to go. After our new fence went in, I dug a trench directly underneath and put in a row of bricks. The fence was within a half inch of the ground but I wanted to make sure the buggers would not dig underneath. At the back corner of the yard, DH attached small hole fencing down to the ground (where the fencing was a inch or two above ground) using zip ties.

Had to laugh about you fencing off under the deck. We had to do that to keep Mardi from going underneath and digging.

Leave the stinky clothes, collar, etc., out on the line for a few more days. Sun, rain, all Mother Nature's remedies, will do the trick. Even my "special" embroidered (with labs) jacket got hung out covered by a sheet to project from direct sun and fading. Three days of weather and it was stink free.

Don't be surprised in a week or so, when Scout gets wet or a humid day, that you get that faint smell of skunk. It takes time to wear off their fur. I was sure to supplement with salmon oil as the Dawn really strips the fur and skin of oils, and plenty of brushing.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

My little Annie got skunked several times, once when she was a baby and we were heading to the vet the next day. She still had a faint smell and they used something like a clear lotion, wiped her down and the smell was instantly gone. Never did figure out what they used and didn't think at the time to ask. I have asked my vets what they use and it is something different.

Glad you got it taken care of quickly if you don't the smell gets into everything.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos