Senior Dog

One down four to go

Just now catching my breath after chairing my first field trial. The entries were low so the days were not as long as they might have been. I couldn't believe how much food prep there was for this event. Thank heavens a good friend and her daughters did most of it. I am not a kitchen person. I now just have the 4 events in September to get through. Will be judging a set of wc's (all levels) A JH and a WC, and then a JH/Sr on one day and a master the next. The fourth event I will just have to marshal. M will get to run in a couple of these as they are small events and my judging assignments are set so that I am finished my stakes before the next set begin. We will fit one field trial in in August.
    I have made up my mind that I am judging nothing next season so that I will get some time to run M. She did not do well at this last one as I had no time to devote to training the week before and my mind was elsewhere when it came to running her. I like to give back to the sport but feel I have done my fair share this year. it is time for some new blood to get involved. I had hope to apprentice a WC and JH judge in September but I am not sure she will get all the paper filed in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
    Just now catching my breath after chairing my first field trial. The entries were low so the days were not as long as they might have been. I couldn't believe how much food prep there was for this event. Thank heavens a good friend and her daughters did most of it. I am not a kitchen person. I now just have the 4 events in September to get through. Will be judging a set of wc's (all levels) A JH and a WC, and then a JH/Sr on one day and a master the next. The fourth event I will just have to marshal. M will get to run in a couple of these as they are small events and my judging assignments are set so that I am finished my stakes before the next set begin. We will fit one field trial in in August.
    I have made up my mind that I am judging nothing next season so that I will get some time to run M. She did not do well at this last one as I had no time to devote to training the week before and my mind was elsewhere when it came to running her. I like to give back to the sport but feel I have done my fair share this year. it is time for some new blood to get involved. I had hope to apprentice a WC and JH judge in September but I am not sure she will get all the paper filed in time.
    Absolutely!!!

Senior Dog
    Just talked to my apprentice and she a go. Paperwork all submitted, test written, dog run in a WC ( he has his SR) so she is all set. I'm looking forward to working with her she will do a great job.

oh my goodness, thats an awful lot to take on! and all in a relatively short time span, yikes. so glad the lady got her paperwork done so she can apprentice, nice to see new people out and about.
    I was at an Obed/rally trial a few weeks ago, and the Novice classes were bigger than i've seen for the last few years, and it was faces i didn't recognize at all. Funny how you see the same faces at all the shows... the nicest thing? most of those "same competitors" made a point of trying to speak with some of the "unknown" faces - i hope they had a good experience and will be back to more shows in the future!
    I hope to run in to you at atleast one of those events! volunteering for something, gunning, etc. Trying to work my way into the field world slowly...
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Senior Dog
    I am so glad to hear that there was a bigger Novice class. I worked at the desk for an obedience trial last Wednesday and there were only 7 dogs total in each of 2 trials. It did however make me want to get back into the obedience ring. Maybe this winter we will start to work M and Huggie on their CD and Rally. I really liked doing Rally but will have to get a new rule book for obedience as I think things have changed in the last couple of years.

Wow. I gotta tell you... talking to some folks at a hunt test who also do a bunch of Obedience and I don't think I have the discipline. It sounds like if you jig when you should jag or wiggle a finger wrong... you've done a double handle! I'm too uncoordinated.

it was really fantastic to see! i haven't been doing any of this very long, and from the 1st 2 years i did it, to now, the drop in entries is scarey. what will happen to the sport if there arent new people trying it and getting hooked? The most recent CKC book is Jan 1 2015, both rally and Obed are in it. There were some good changes on the Rally side then, and i've heard there will be more for this year.
    This is the link to the down-loadable pdf book, i have it on my phone, but i really try and remember to take my hard copy with me to trials, much easier to read!

https://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Sh...gulations.aspx
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Senior Dog
    Rule books are one thing that every competitor should have and READ!. There is so much info in them that will help you get through a test. I always make sure I have the latest copy on hand and for the last trial I made sure that the marshal at each stake had one. It wad really interesting to see the amateur judge and a group checking the rule book for eligibility of a dog that had placed fourth in Amateur. They weren't sure if it was now no long eligible to run qual. The rule is once the dog has a placing in amateur it can no longer run qual in the next trials entered. A dog may no longer run in qual if it has received a CM (JAM) in an open. The dog in question is a young dog and the owner was of two minds. He loved the placing but hated the fact that the dog could no longer gain experience running qual.

I had a rule book in the motel and reviewed it (I wasn't clear about the walk-up) prior to the Senior we ran. When we have our big double header in the spring, all marshals have a rule book AND a copy of the AKC publication entitled "Dealing with Misconduct". Marshals are told who is on the HT Committee and everyone has everyone elses' phone numbers in case there are questions or problems.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos