Gardening in a bee suit.

We have been in a drought. It was in the worst top ten. I've been waiting for rain to dig up some of the worst of the weedy stuff in the less civilized area of the property.

Well, we got rain and a lot of it and it cooled off significantly but it's like a two day window to do some of the heavier lifting. I go out and ten minutes in I dig up a yellow jacket nest.

I know exactly what to do in these circumstances. I ran. Only got stung once and just one got in the house but I called my husband to whine at him anyway. I'm watching them swarm outside the window and complaining about losing my day outside and he says, "Don't we have a bee suit?"

Why yes. Yes we do.

Years ago, our charming neighbors decided to raise bees. So they ordered expensive bees "from Italy", found out they were a killer bee hybrid and refused to destroy the hive until they were told they had to by some government agency. This took a year. Meanwhile, we were concerned. This hive was near our shared property line and across from our dog yard. What if these things went after our dogs or someone else in our house? We had a plan to turn the hose on them but the person doing that had to be protected. Fortunately, we never had to use the bee suit. Until today.

It worked quite well, I must say. I marched right on out there and did my thing while covered in yellow jackets and eventually they must have gotten bored or whatever because they kind of went away. I would highly recommend the dang thing and it's not very expensive either.

This is the mental image I got. I was wondering how the bee suit was going to keep the Yellow Jackets away. I thought maybe Yellow Jackets were afraid of giant bees.....

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TT120 For This Useful Post:

Blackboy98 (08-03-2016), brownietrout (08-04-2016), janedoe (08-02-2016), Jeff (08-02-2016), Kleb (08-02-2016), labsnewfy (08-06-2016), POPTOP (08-02-2016), Sue-Ram (08-03-2016), SunDance (08-03-2016)

I was going to say this thread is useless without pictures.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-02-2016)

Twice I've dug into a bee nest in the ground and they show no mercy. One even got in my hair, which I didn't realize, and came in the house with me only to sting me. Definitely feel your pain.

I've used Seven dust on the nests then ran like he!!.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I was going to say this thread is useless without pictures.
    It's in the wash. Lots of sweating going on there. I'll get one tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Twice I've dug into a bee nest in the ground and they show no mercy. One even got in my hair, which I didn't realize, and came in the house with me only to sting me. Definitely feel your pain.

I've used Seven dust on the nests then ran like he!!.
    And they follow you too! What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by TT120 View Post
    This is the mental image I got. I was wondering how the bee suit was going to keep the Yellow Jackets away. I thought maybe Yellow Jackets were afraid of giant bees.....
    This isn't the one I have but it looks a lot like this. Think Hazmat suit.

Amazon.com : Humble Bee 412-XXS Polycotton Beekeeping Suit with Square Veil (XX Small) : Patio, Lawn Garden

You would look like a strange spacewoman from Alpha Centauri!!!!!! OH no, wait your from Sirius-the Dog Star. Yah, that's it..
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos