Crates and Cars safety study

I know we have often talked about harness's vs Crates for cars. However one of the things no one every really did crate studies.

Well not any longer. Crates have now gone through exhaustive crash testing. One thing for sure never, ever use wire crates for pet safety in cars. You can see crash videos in the links in the main article. Dog litterally tear through the wire crates making the shredded crate and the dog now a projectile in the crash.

The crate study, for large dogs.
    2015 Crate Study Results - Center for Pet Safety

Carrier test results also kennels on back seats strapped in with seatbelts. This is a no. Never do this.
    2015 Carrier Study Results - Center for Pet Safety

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bob Pr. (08-04-2016)

Everyone should read this link to provide additional context to the Center for Pet Safety reports: https://ismypetsafe.com/files/travel_...report_web.pdf

It outlines some concerns with their methodology, and provides a lot of additional food for thought regarding crates and crash safety.

I read this report a little while back when I was looking for a double crate for my RAV4, I could not find anything that would fit and hold 2 dogs, as the floor is not flat. I ended up with the Midwest crates that are 21" wide and designed for small SUV's. The 42" one sit about 3 inches from the front seat. I anchored them with 150 pound rated zip ties, and anchored them together in six places. I know it's not the ideal set up, but it's what works for us. I do drive a lot more cautiously when I have one or both dogs in the car.

so whats a good crate for back seat of car or truck?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

I am sold on the Ruff Tough.

Ruff Tough Kennels -

Very solid. Also heavy (although I'm an old lady and I can lift it in and out of my truck. I like that the door opens both ways. Also, it can be extensively (and expensively) customized.

I can't use a crate in my car so I have to use a safety harness and belt my dog in the back seat. Bought the best one I could based on articles, reviews & testing videos.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos