Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's been a year... Cookie's second birhday

It's been a year since that dreadful night of August 8th, 2015. Was it a challenging and emotionally draining year! I still cringe when I remember the images from that night, Cookie fighting for his life, the howling, the prognosis and the words "this dog is dying". Cookie fought like a champ and a few days later he was up, walking on his dislocated hip and eating like a true Lab. But the journey wasn't over, it had merely just begun. Two weeks later, he had surgery for his dislocated hip. And although the surgery went well, it came with every possible complication. From leg swelling to sciatic nerve injury and of course, some serious muscle atrophy. The first few months after the surgery were the toughest and at the end of November 2015 was the second time in four months that I thought I'd lose him - he began having cluster seizures, during which he fell and additionally hurt his leg.

Needless to say, no one wanted more than I for 2015 to end. And indeed, 2016 was much kinder to us. Although the recovery was slow and in a one step forward - two steps backward pace, there still was steady improvement. We started physical therapy in January 2016, which has helped enormously, and of course, god bless the fountain. Cookie is doing great, considering. The muscle tone has improved tremendously, as well as the neurological issues that he has with that leg. Walking turned to trotting most of the time. When it's time for our long walk of the day, no one is happier than Cookie.

It's been a year, a 366 days long journey. Some days were dark, some days were darker. But most of the days were bright, filled with the satisfaction of improvement and hope for tomorrow. Cookie proved to be a really tough cookie and even on days when I thought about giving up, he never did. He knew he still had so many bushes to sniff, grass to graze, rivers to swim and friends to meet. And he keeps showing us every single day that he isn't done yet, even on days when his leg hurts more or his back aches, his eyes never seize sparkling and his tail never stops wagging and his nose never leaves the ground in order not to miss a single smell.

During this 366 days long journey, Cookie also turned 10 years old. With the life expectancy of the breed being 10-12 years, and the issues with arthritis that we are dealing with, Cookie's behaviour is everything but one of a senior arthritic dog's. And even though he is still walking with a slight limp because of the weak right back leg, his gait is consistently improving.

And last, but not least, I really need to thank everyone who was by our side during this journey of 366 days. I want to thank my friends for the emotional and financial support, especially the Lab people from all around the world who I have never met in person, but who have strengthened my belief that Lab people are the most kind and selfless people, just like the dogs of their favourite breed. You helped me see, during the unbearably dark days, the sparks of light and hope. I want to thank the vets that saved Cookie's life that night, the passers-by who were there with a bottle of water, the friends who stayed with Cookie in the vet's office. The surgeon who did the surgery. Cookie's physical therapist who helped him stand firmly on all four feet. And of course, Cookie. If it weren't for his unbreakable spirit and will to live and run and his unbelievable ability to always see the glass half-full, none of this would have ever been possible.

"The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet."

Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-09-2016), barry581 (08-08-2016), Blackboy98 (08-08-2016), coopersmom (08-09-2016), doubledip1 (08-09-2016), Jeff (08-08-2016), kimbersmom (08-08-2016), mackiesmom (08-10-2016), Meeps83 (08-08-2016), MikeLynn (08-08-2016), POPTOP (08-08-2016), SamsonsMom (08-08-2016), Scoutpout (08-09-2016), Sue-Ram (08-09-2016), SunDance (08-08-2016), Tanya (08-08-2016), zd262 (08-08-2016), ZoeysMommy (08-09-2016)

Senior Dog
    Those were scary times on the board. Your persistence and love for "our" Cookie is what got him through...offering our support was the easy part and just came naturally. It's been a rewarding journey and, yes, so good to get to this point and look back with relief. You two still have our support, you know, for his continued success and a long high-quality life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

I know how hard your situation that night, can't imagine myself if i'm in that situation too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosy For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

It seems like a long time since that awful first post you made. So many things happened to Cookie, more than a year's worth should be. I wish it was completely over but still, happy to follow his progress, his impressive progress as he continues to improve. Go Cookie. And you.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

I can't even imagine going thru ALL that in less than a year (or even over many years with a single dog) It's wonderful to hear how far he's come from that time though (even if not all days are great).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

It has been a long year for you two, just know that we are all here for you. Cookie is extremely strong, and he has improved leaps and bounds over the last year.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

House Broken
    I didn't follow the history but it sounds like a struggle with a happy ending. I am so happy it worked out.
    Alex Aowyn - Born 11/07/2003Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ZZSW7Y For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

My heart dropped when you made the first post about Cookie and the accident. It's been a long journey for both of you but neither of you have wavered from the ultimate goal, a strong and healthy Cookie. Each update, each picture, each accomplishment has been celebrated as well it should be.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

Wow, a year! It seems like yesterday I was checking in every morning to see if there were any Cookie updates. I know we were all pulling for that sweet boy of yours. May he live the rest of his days in peace and happiness and sniffing every wonderful thing the world puts in front of him.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

You and Cookie have been through one of my worst nightmares. Every time you post a picture or video of Cookie, it warms my heart. I am so happy for both of you!!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-08-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos