Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Civics 205 Revisited

Last Thursday evening I voted in my first election. In Canada that is. This thread gives some background.

I chose to not take advantage of the week-long advance polling period because I wanted this occasion to be a little special. I arrived at our town's sports arena, which was the polling place, knowing Iwas not on the List of Electors. I should give you a brief glossary:

CANADIAN US Equivalent
    elector = voter
    poll = precinct
    riding = district, e.g. congressional district
    MPP = state representative
    CPP = Social Security

Knowing I wasn't on the list meant waiting in line to be added to the list. The wait of around ten minutes took longer than the actual process of registering. I only had to show proof of ID and residence. Once this was completed the official directed me to my poll.

In Austin each precinct had its own polling place. Mine was in a school about four blocks from my house. Up here eight polls' voting stations were distributed throughout the room. I checked in with my polls' officials who verified that I was indeed not on the list. Then they handed me a ballot, asked me to mark one choice, fold it, and deposit in the box. My ballot had nine choices for MPP from my riding. I took up the pencil, marked my choice with an 'X', put the pencil down, folded and placed my ballot in the box. I exercised my right, fulfilled my duty, and took responsibility for my part in the governance of Ontario.
    ------------------------
    It was a very interesting campaign and election. I'll let you go to this thread for the backstory of why the election was called. The Progressive Conservative (PC) party leader, Tim Hudak, boldly made specific and somewhat detailed pledges of how he would cut provincial spending and promote a more business friendly climate if the PCs won. The New Democratic Party (NDP) leader, Adrea Horwath, was fuzzier on similar details and focussed more on highlighting Liberal party scandals, mismanagement, and alleged corruption. The Liberal's Kathleen Wynne sidestepped and downplayed the scandals; she also stumped for a provincially administered pension plan to supplement a parsimonious CPP. All three candidates waved lots of attractive (and potentially costly) inducements to the riding-rich Golden Horseshoe region (Hamilton/Toronto/Oshawa).

The day before the election, an aggregate of several polls had the race in a virtual three-way tie. Most polls had it as a two way race with the NDP a distant third. Most people anticipated a minority government, either PC or Liberal. (I personally anticipated a Liberal minority.) Instead, the Liberals won a comfortable majority - 59 of 107 seats. Tim Hudak resigned as party leader Friday because he lost this election as well as the 2011 election. Andrea Horwath's future as NDP leader is undecided; she has also now lost two elections.

Though I still watch US politics I pay more and more attention to things on this side of the border. Later this year we will have the municipal election and I eagerly await next years' federal election.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Sir Winston (06-17-2014)

Senior Dog
    Congratulations on voting in your first election in your new Home Country. Worked to become a Canadian citizen to vote, definitely an accomplishment that some don't really do here in the USA but vote anyway.

KAZ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Congratulations on voting in your first election in your new Home Country. Worked to become a Canadian citizen to vote, definitely an accomplishment that some don't really do here in the USA but vote anyway.

KAZ
    Thank you.

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

Congrats!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-15-2014)

Congratulations!

Thanks for the definitions. Very interesting.

And exactly when are we going to see you in the "jacket"?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-15-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    And exactly when are we going to see you in the "jacket"?
    Guess I really need to start scouring second hand stores for the "jacket".

Maybe one like this:

or perhaps this one:

I think the hat would be a must-have!

for Canada Day.

Perhaps this study in black and white?

Don cherry has so many other great jackets, it's hard to limit to just a few.

End of highjack. Sorry, dear!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

Sir Winston (06-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kleb View Post
    Guess I really need to start scouring second hand stores for the "jacket".

Maybe one like this:

This one, because the tie matches.

Senior Dog
    Wow, can't miss that in a crowd. Definitely flamboyant at best.

BTW, looks like there will be more voters this year. Mass border problems. Not being mean, but we do have laws people that can be followed to become a citizen. But then again, hear there are new laws now saying "come on over"? New voter base I guess.

Video Landing Page - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

KAZ

Sorry and how are more gang members going to help society here? You should see the inner cities and jails already. Just don't get it, but then I guess I'm being mean to say you actually have to respect our laws?

Border agent laments Mexican gang members entering U.S.: - Washington Times

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Wow, can't miss that in a crowd. Definitely flamboyant at best.

BTW, looks like there will be more voters this year. Mass border problems. Not being mean, but we do have laws people that can be followed to become a citizen. But then again, hear there are new laws now saying "come on over"? New voter base I guess.

Video Landing Page - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

KAZ

Sorry and how are more gang members going to help society here? You should see the inner cities and jails already. Just don't get it, but then I guess I'm being mean to say you actually have to respect our laws?

Border agent laments Mexican gang members entering U.S.: - Washington Times
    Interesting.

My understanding is that illegal immigration is not the problem it has been. A combination of more border patrols, significantly more deportations, and an anemic recovery from the 2008 crash have all resulted in fewer people seeking their future in El Norte. Yet as long as El Norte continues to be a relatively safe and economically beneficial destination for immigrants - legal and illegal - and the people who employ them, they will come.

Perhaps underage Mexican gang members are a problem in some US 'hoods and cities. Hard to tell from the linked article, which offered no data, no facts, only the assertions of two Border Patrol officials to make the case that this is a problem. I didn't care to rummage around the original source website - The National Review - for details.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Sir Winston (06-17-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kleb View Post
    Interesting.

My understanding is that illegal immigration is not the problem it has been. A combination of more border patrols, significantly more deportations, and an anemic recovery from the 2008 crash have all resulted in fewer people seeking their future in El Norte. Yet as long as El Norte continues to be a relatively safe and economically beneficial destination for immigrants - legal and illegal - and the people who employ them, they will come.

Perhaps underage Mexican gang members are a problem in some US 'hoods and cities. Hard to tell from the linked article, which offered no data, no facts, only the assertions of two Border Patrol officials to make the case that this is a problem. I didn't care to rummage around the original source website - The National Review - for details.
    Unfortunately the facts are not allowed here anymore in the USA. If we can still call it the USA. Our borders are wide open and border patrol are told to allow the illegal entries. Border patrols are being inprisoned for stopping illegals. Being shot and killed by illegals. So when illegal immigration phrase is being turned to "undocumented amnesty" it hard to have facts saying there is a problem.

So the spin is on to make it all sound like there is not problem. Just the border.

Just another political plan. BTW does Canada understand the UN Charter? Because the people in the USA don't and that's where we are headed. Do yourself a big favor, take a day or two out and go over this UN Charter. right now the influx from Central America is part of this UN Charter. And you will soon find out that Governors that governed the States of the USA will loose their power. Already happening.

I've already been listening to short wave and there are some really angry Americans out there. You are right, media has no facts. All of them are part of the spin, but there is a problem out there. A very LARGE problem.

KAZ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (06-18-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos