Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got approved to be a Guide Dog puppy raiser!

Although it'll be at least a month before I get a puppy! They send the puppies home at 8 weeks old and you bring them back at around 16 months so they can go through intensive training on site. In the interim you bring your puppy a couple times a month to the campus for meetings and training so they can get used to it. Also for all vet visits. They use mostly labs and lab/golden crosses. German Shepherds every now and then. If the dog you raised "fails" as a guide dog, you have first right of refusal to take him/her back. There are a lot of rules -- no getting on furniture. No eating table scraps or people food at all. Always has to potty on leash. No playing with tennis balls.

Archie is three now so it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Seems a little crazy but it's something I've always wanted to do. The woman who came to interview the family and do the house visit today is currently raising her 28th puppy!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArchieSit For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (08-09-2016), fan of fanboys (08-11-2016), kimbersmom (08-10-2016), windycanyon (08-10-2016)

That's really exciting! Puppy raiser is on my bucket list. Please continue to share with us, I'd love to follow your journey.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

Yes, I definitely will! I know you guys will offer the appropriate empathy if I end up with a labra-shark puppy!

That's awesome!! A young lady in my neighborhood raised a black lab puppy for a local guide dog organization. He was a couple months younger than Bruce, and she had him with her at college, as it was part of her degree program. She did an excellent job, and the puppy passed all his tests. Unfortunately he kept getting conjunctivitis which disqualified him from the program. She was pretty happy to take him back!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

Congratulations! I'd love to hear of your adventures in raising a Guide Dog puppy too. I'd heard about the no tennis ball rule and always wondered what the other ones were.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

Congratulations! Being a puppy raiser is an amazing contribution to the greater good. I assume you are working with GDA in Sylmar. They have a great program (their breeding manager is a longtime member of the same Lab club I'm in). My Lab club did a tour of the facility not too long ago and learned all about the program. The graduation ceremony there is so moving. There are people on this board who have donated puppies and/or breedings to their stud dogs for this very worthwhile program.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

Dxboon, yes, exactly, GDA in Sylmar. I've been to a couple of the puppy raiser meetings (SO MANY lab puppies!), but haven't made it to a graduation yet. If we end up raising a puppy who graduates I will be an absolute mess at that ceremony!

Java, I will get a whole manual when I get the puppy, so I'll be sure to let you guys know of any other interesting rules.

GDA in Sylmar is an excellent organization, have you toured the facilities, and met Meri? I guess if you are approved you have met her already. LOL I have donated quite a few dogs and puppies into their program, and they have done really well.

My daughter almost raised a Guide Dog (not for GDA though, we live too far away) for her Girl Scout Gold Award while she was a Junior and Senior in High School. She presented her plan to the unit council and they denied it, they said it "didn't have enough of a 'Community Service' component". They wanted her to add like 40 hours of visits to other GS troops, in addition to raising the dog, and she had a full course load of Advanced Placement and College Prep courses. If raising a Guide Dog isn't the ultimate Community Service, I don't know what is? She declined, and did something else for her Gold Award. :-)

Congratulations and best wishes to you, it will truly be an intense labor of love, and the graduation ceremony will rip your heart out, but in the best way possible. Keep us posted!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016), windycanyon (08-10-2016)

How great! Congratulations!
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

How exciting! Am really interested in hearing how it works out for you and your puppy. And, of course pictures.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

18. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (08-09-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos