Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One Command, Two Behaviors

Archie already had a pretty good sit when he joined us. Taught him that he had to sit for a treat. However, he was a little grabby so I added in the command "gentle". I kept asking him where were his manners. Now I use the command "manners" to sit and be gentle taking a treat. This is different than having to sit in different situations.

Do any of you do similar two-for-one commands?
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    I don't think I do...you really made me stop and think for a while.

The grabbiness, though....

My guys are gentle when taking treats. At one point, one of the dog walkers we met frequently started carrying treats. She wouldn't allow the dogs to take the treat from her, though...she would toss the treat "last minute" toward their mouths. It showed my dogs that they needed to be excited and anticipate the throw...and they ended up snapping up the treats mid-air. Then they started anticipating other people's giving of treats to be the same way, even though that wasn't happening...but the dogs' were excitedly snapping up the treats. I had to reinforce "gentle" and asked the one woman to just stop giving them treats. I don't know if she just didn't want dog lips touching her hands or if she'd been used to grabby dogs. Her own dog wasn't grabby when I gave him treats myself.

I had to stop and think too. I can't think of a time I do a 2 for 1. For your particular example, Oban isn't always sitting. He might need a "Gentle" reminder once in a while.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I am trying to think of one but nothing comes to mind. Now I have a command that means different things in different scenarios. So for example Weave. When we are in agility it means hit the weave poles. When we are dancing it means go between my legs. Which it actually gets 2 uses on the dance floor by my stance. Standing there legs apart means do a figure 8 weave between my legs. Walking means do a walking weave.

I also use the command manners when feeding Archie. He has to sit before setting down his meal but would be a little pushy and diving in. Again, I would ask him where were his gentleman manners. I use the same command and he sits and waits until the bowl is set down, noses in and then will look up at me, gets a pat on the head and I tell him to enjoy is meal. DH does not do this but Archie gives the same response. DH does not do the pat on the head either so I know he knows he can dive in not being pushy about it.

Brings back memories of Mardi. No way would she wait for a meal; she was a true lab chow hound. As her hip got worse I would not ask her to sit, just did not seem fair to her.

I've always given a little pat on the shoulders as any dog started eating and told them to enjoy. I think it made them less concerned about a person being around/close to them while eating. I've never interrupted a meal or placed my hand on or near the bowl. I think that's asking for trouble.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

You know after thinking about it, Dog do learn combined behaviors in odd and different ways. The one that really lept out when I was thinking about this is Claudia Fugazza Do as I do training. Which she gets hundred of behaviors chaned with a dingle command. Not only that new ones. I have done this with Hemi with Limited success but I also need time. If you have not seen this. a good quick search

Link just says google but is a link to google search with a bunch of her videos
    Google

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (08-11-2016)

That's a good example, Jeff. Do as I do was shown in our Dognition course and I'd like to try it. There must be some foundation steps to do first that I haven't seen. Guess I will have to bite the wallet and order the book or DVD or both.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

House Broken
    I am not sure if same thing but I do not use a 'stay' command. I just use sit. Sit for me means to sit until told to move. So sit might be sit right then and get your treat or whatever or it might mean sit while I go to other side of house and you stay there until I get back

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    That's a good example, Jeff. Do as I do was shown in our Dognition course and I'd like to try it. There must be some foundation steps to do first that I haven't seen. Guess I will have to bite the wallet and order the book or DVD or both.
    Its actually harder than you think to get started. Hemi and I do it. We have an expert in it at dog scouts and next year it is a new badge ;-)

However you need 3 extremely solid obedience things to start with that is word only. These also have to be things you can do, like lay down, sit down, Which when we were practicing this everyone realized how super hard this is. You can not move a single piece of your body. Only say a word and the dog does it. Stand in front of your dog, arms down by your side, completely neural facial expresion and give them a command. Absolutely no other movement. No head nod, no weird look, no crossing your eyes, rolling or raising your eyebrows, no flick of a finger. Nothing but the verbal command. Try it. I think you will find it very hard, this tripped up everyone, have DH watch you too, people were often moving just ever so slightly without knowing it. You need to say it only once and it happens and you need 3 of these.

Then you simply start showing them you do it, then say Do it and give the command. However you want to rotate between the different things. Eventually you phase out the command and just say do it. After that you start introducing new behaviors. The commands can be anything that you both can do. Hemi's 3 solid ones are Sit, Spin, and Bow.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (08-11-2016)

You doing great! I don't know how you do that but congrats. I will try this idea of you.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos