Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock - Kidney Function Issues

I had been putting off his regular bloodwork with all the Penny stuff and now I feel horrible for putting it off. His kidney values are off. We go back in for urnialysis and blood pressure Saturday morning to get more info.

He's now going off NSAIDS so we'll have to manage the pain otherwise. I had already been looking into tumeric paste and I heard someone mention Carthogen injection. He is already on Gabapentin for nerve pain, i have been giving him the second bag of Penny's flexadin and some Omega Alpha Gluc (seems to have Gluc, MSM, Chondroiton and devil's claw among other things). he almost seemed better since starting the flexadin but that isn't particularly cheap either.

Out of one fire into the next
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-11-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Senior Dog
    Oh geez...I hate that your sweet boy is having more issues. Sending all good thoughts your way for his health and comfort.

I guess you need to know how far off first. At one point we had three older cats all in kidney failure but needing no special treatment. Even my Mum, who had only 30% function, was fine with no special treatment and as a matter of fact the water pill prescribed for her heart health was detrimental to kidneys but ok'd by the Nephrologist. Sp? Rocky's kidneys might not be a huge concern, I hope.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Oh no! Keeping you both in my thoughts

yep it may not be a MAJOR issue (and really at 12 issues are bound to pop up). I think either way we'll stay away from NSAIDS though. The follow up tests and then follow-up bloodwork in a few months will give an idea how quickly things may or may not be declining. It could potentially be a blip that comes back into normal. Could be dehydration. Could be the NSAIDS and the results bounce back or stay stable when he comes off. Seems like it could be "serious he has 6 months this will be what kills him" or just "something to manage but non life threatning" or "nothing much in the scheme of things".

The vet got very technical with the results but I can't remember any of that :P Please excuse the terms, i did the best i could noting all this! oh teh "was" in from the november bloodwork. we've been doing 6-9mt bloodwork for many years now.
    Triatnin was 155 and is now 175 (normal 44-159?)
    Thyroid at the bottom of normal range
    Uria went from 10 to 21 I think it was (seems extreme?)
    STMA wetn from 16 to 25 (at least what i wrote here)

Next tests is blood pressure and urinalysis (concentration of urine). Depending on results we will test proteins and do a culture.

Next steps: stop NSAIDS (and find a way to manage pain as needed); obviously a vet recommend kidney food (he said it doubles the life expectancy of a dog - but basically low phospherous low ash low protein though I have read that isn't true). If proteins are off then pill for that. If blood pressure is off then a pilll for that. And additional vitamin B.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    yep it may not be a MAJOR issue (and really at 12 issues are bound to pop up). I think either way we'll stay away from NSAIDS though. The follow up tests and then follow-up bloodwork in a few months will give an idea how quickly things may or may not be declining. It could potentially be a blip that comes back into normal. Could be dehydration. Could be the NSAIDS and the results bounce back or stay stable when he comes off. Seems like it could be "serious he has 6 months this will be what kills him" or just "something to manage but non life threatning" or "nothing much in the scheme of things".

The vet got very technical with the results but I can't remember any of that :P Please excuse the terms, i did the best i could noting all this! oh teh "was" in from the november bloodwork. we've been doing 6-9mt bloodwork for many years now.
    Triatnin was 155 and is now 175 (normal 44-159?)
    Thyroid at the bottom of normal range
    Uria went from 10 to 21 I think it was (seems extreme?)
    STMA wetn from 16 to 25 (at least what i wrote here)

Next tests is blood pressure and urinalysis (concentration of urine). Depending on results we will test proteins and do a culture.

Next steps: stop NSAIDS (and find a way to manage pain as needed); obviously a vet recommend kidney food (he said it doubles the life expectancy of a dog - but basically low phospherous low ash low protein though I have read that isn't true). If proteins are off then pill for that. If blood pressure is off then a pilll for that. And additional vitamin B.
    Two (or three?) of the B vitamins will cause high blood pressure if they're too high for the individual. My BP was problematic for a while until I discovered that my taken-for-years B-50 complex was too much for me...found a good B-25 complex that gives all I need of the crucial vitamins but not too much of the others. I'd stumbled onto this by chance...just tried to find the website for you and couldn't. I don't remember which of the vitamins were cited as causing hypertension. Anyway...two days after I dropped my dose (just splitting my original B-50's in half to test things), my BP was perfect.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Tanya (08-11-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Two (or three?) of the B vitamins will cause high blood pressure if they're too high for the individual. My BP was problematic for a while until I discovered that my taken-for-years B-50 complex was too much for me...found a good B-25 complex that gives all I need of the crucial vitamins but not too much of the others. I'd stumbled onto this by chance...just tried to find the website for you and couldn't. I don't remember which of the vitamins were cited as causing hypertension. Anyway...two days after I dropped my dose (just splitting my original B-50's in half to test things), my BP was perfect.
    Inositol and choline...gonna bookmark this site this time: B-Vitamins: DRI/RDA, Overdose, Side Effects, Deficiency Symptoms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Tanya (08-11-2016)

So sorry about your situation! I keep on praying for you and for your dog.

So sorry you both are going through this will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Sorry to hear. Sending prayers

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos