Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Question about mama lab and pups I'm fostering

Hi! I've been fostering a mama lab and her 6 puppies and need a little advice. The pups turned 7 weeks yesterday and they are still nursing! They eat puppy food as well, but any chance they get they will nurse. Mama is kinda done with them and will growl/bark when they try to nurse but then she lays down and lets them. Should I do something to stop them? Keep them separated all the time?

I've also noticed a red, round rash on her teats. Almost looks like a moisture dermatitis. Is there anything I can/should put on it?

Thanks so much!
    Jen and Mama

Senior Dog
    We let Chloe nurse her pups (who were staying with us) as long as she wanted, which turned out to be until about 14 weeks. She never indicated any displeasure about it though. I would make sure your girl can get away from the pups if she wants so that she has the option of leaving instead of nursing - maybe use a low enough ex-pen or gate that she can jump out but the pups can’t. As for the rash, you should probably get a vet to look at it to make sure it’s nothing more than just dermatitis (might be yeast/thrush for example), but to protect her skin I can’t imagine why you couldn’t use the lanolin that’s available for nursing human mothers (Lansinoh is the most common brand name).

I’m assuming you’re not keeping all the pups so they will wean once they go to their new homes. There are some breeders who would insist the pups be forceably weaned by now (mostly by separating them - you can also put a onesie type shirt over the mom so they can’t access her teats), but personally, I didn’t see the need.

Thanks for fostering!!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

JenC (08-11-2016), windycanyon (08-11-2016)

I also allow my moms to wean on their own schedule, which means puppies are still nursing at 8 + weeks. As long as the puppies are getting the majority of their nutrition from solid food and not milk, that should be fine. I love the bond of a good mom and her brood, plus she is teaching them about bite inhibition, and puppy manners. If they bite or hurt her, no nursing, if they are polite and gentle she allows them to nurse. Like Annete said, just make sure she can get away from them, and don't lock her up wth them overnight, if you are still doing that. She actually looks like she is drying up in that picture.

For the redness and moisture on her belly, make sure the puppies nails are short and blunt on the ends, so she doesn't get mastitis. Once they start to wean, the teat tissue is still enlarged and floppy, and moisture collects in between them. I have used a clean wash cloth and just laid in in the center of the belly a couple of times a day to dry it out, and sprinkled a bit of Gold Bond medicated powder to help keep it dry and soothe the area. Make sure you complete wipe that off before she nurses the babies again. It looks OK to me, but a quick trip to the vet (Be careful at the vet's office, wait in the car, and wipe her feet when you leave and again when you get home) or ask the rescue vet to look at it, might be a good idea to check for mastitis. Does she have an elevated temperature? Normal dog temperature is in the 100.5 to 102 range. Is her belly really warm to the touch? Are any of the teats hard and firm and hot?

The puppies look great, you have done an awesome job! I assume they have been on a worming schedule, along with mom? Vaccination next week?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (08-11-2016)

Senior Dog
    Sunnie was "done" with her puppies long before they were weaned...at something like 4 - 5 weeks if I remember correctly. They were already feeding standing up and Sunnie had to be propped up between my feet/legs in order for her hind legs to not splay out. I got them to 6 weeks...working on weaning...before I allowed her to not mingle with them if she didn't want to. She wore a T-shirt when in the x-pen and she didn't sleep with them.

My guess is that the skin redness is a combination of tooth and nail scratching...no wonder mama dogs get fed up. I'm guessing that you're keeping their nails clipped/blunt. Sunnie had no skin issues...I'd ask the vet for advice on that.

I just thought of something, a red round rash? Are there several of them? It could be ringworm, so I would have that checked out to be sure, ringworm is contagious.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-12-2016), windycanyon (08-11-2016)

Six puppies? I think you owe us two more puppy photos.

I've never had a bunch of puppies but I have had kittens. Kittens and puppies wean at about the same age and it's generally at about 6 or 7 weeks they are placed in homes. I think that's mostly becasue they start getting lanky around about 8 weeks and some people don't find them as cute then. But many cat people recommend kittens not be homed till around 12 weeks and I have let mothers nurse them as long as they want, which has been 12 to 13 weeks. FWIW.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post

I've never had a bunch of puppies but I have had kittens. Kittens and puppies wean at about the same age and it's generally at about 6 or 7 weeks they are placed in homes. I think that's mostly becasue they start getting lanky around about 8 weeks and some people don't find them as cute then. But many cat people recommend kittens not be homed till around 12 weeks and I have let mothers nurse them as long as they want, which has been 12 to 13 weeks. FWIW.

Who places puppies at 6 or 7 weeks? Because they start getting lanky and aren't as cute? I know you are in Canada, but most states in the USA it is illegal to place puppies before the age of 8 weeks, and is generally seen as poor practice by most of the breeders I know. There is nothing cuter than an 8 week old puppy!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

dxboon (08-11-2016), windycanyon (08-11-2016)

I'd also get mom (and puppies) checked by the vet, just in case. Also 2nd all the questions re: deworming, toenails, etc.. Have you gotten the pups vaccinated yet?
    Are you working w/ a rescue? Hopefully someone is working on puppy adoptions by now. The work load (and food bill) goes up exponentially once pups hit that 7- 8 wk stage!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post

Awww...8 week old puppies and kitties are still so cute!

8 week old face below! Even 12 weeks is still cute (2nd photo below)!

No, no. I meant kittens are often placed at 6 or 7 weeks. Kittens get lanky. I can see how I gave you the wrong idea. sorry.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos