Teaching Thor to use a bell

In our old house, Thor had freedom to come and go out the doggy door into our small enclosed back yard as he pleased. In the new house, we don't let him outside unsupervised, so it was a bit of an adjustment having to remember to actually let the dog out. He has learned that the back door is where we let him out, and when he needs to go he'll go lay next to it. He also knows to run to the door if we ask him if he needs to go out.

The problem is that while my husband I are working (both of our offices are upstairs), we don't see him by the back door waiting to go out. I want to teach the bell trick so that we know.

I found a neat little leather jingle bell string at an antique shop yesterday and hung it on the door. Before I take Thor out, I point to the bells and say "touch" (a command he knows). He'll nudge the bells with his nose and then I let him outside.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing or conflating the concept of "out" with "touch". Obviously he hasn't rung the bells independently yet - they've been in the house less than 24 hours. Is this the right way to teach him to ring the bell if he needs to go out? Any other ideas?
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

That's basically the way I started. My guys used a paw to ring the bells but a nose will do. Do it every time he goes outside even if it is not a time he indicates he needs to go outside, i.e., the door does not open unless the bells ring. He'll get it, he's one smart cookie.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Best Friend Retriever
    I agree. Probably doesn't matter what you're saying. Ring bell, then open door. Repetition is more important.

My dogs didn't know touch when the bells were introduced so I rang them myself every time we went out for a potty outing. Eventually they made the connection. Daisy touches them with her nose, Lily paws at them. I think Thor should make the connection either way you do it.

We had great success with the "I Gotta Go" button. MOcha wanted to play with the bells so we found this. Every time we took him out we hit the button and then started asking him to push the button.
    Amazon.com : Gotta Go Button : Pet Door Doorbells : Pet Supplies
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

I did the same thing you are doing. It doesn't really matter, like Bernie said, all the dog is really understanding is:
    1. Bells move and bell sound
    2. Door opens to outside

As long as that happens, I have the utmost confidence in Thor.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Well he knows to at least look at it now. This morning he went over to the door and stared at the bells rather than the handle. We'll get there.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (08-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Well he knows to at least look at it now. This morning he went over to the door and stared at the bells rather than the handle. We'll get there.
    LOL, Good boy Thor! You're getting there!

It'll probably work. Another option would be to teach him to touch or paw a piece of BLUE (not green) painter's tape. Slowly make the piece of tape smaller and try sticking it on various things and finally the bell. This comes in handy! You can use the tape to teach lots of different things, like closing drawers or doors.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (08-17-2016), doubledip1 (08-15-2016), kimbersmom (08-15-2016), MightyThor (08-15-2016), MikeLynn (08-18-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos