Thread: Slow motion

Senior Dog

Slow motion

Today I trained in slow motion. M has not really had a days training for about 3 weeks as the weather has been too hot. Today it was cooler after a days rain so we got out. Of course she was higher than a kite so everything had to be slowed down and she had to get herself back in control. We did a trip at HT lengths and I made her wait between each bird and then I made her wait again between each send. After she honoured for a dog running 3 singles. I did the same with my sisters dog. They both ran a fairly tough blind, the cover is fairly long and they got out of sight when they switched from one field to the other. But once they were through the fence row if they took a good line they could go straight to the blind. my sister's dog did the better job.
    The last series we did was a double with a really short breaking bird with a double shot. I made M and Huggie cold honour on this one. Both got through it without a move. Levy we were even meaner and through the short bird right in his face. He got up and moved so he had to do it again.
    Steadiness is of utmost importance when they are running working certificate tests and hunt test as those short marks are so tempting. The FT marks are much longer and they have had a good look at the gunners as you can point them out before lining up for the first mark. I used to get this a$$ backward all the time. Lining up on the last bird down instead of the first.
    Tomorrow it will be short marks on water, did some out to sea blinds a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds like a very productive day!!!

Oh my. Amen and Amen. Run a slow dog (Bridget) fast and a fast dog (Rocket Dog) slow. In basketball there is this thing called a "run and gun" offense. It's a fabulous thing to watch. It creates havoc with the other team. With a great bunch of players the scoring can be astronomical. Rocket Dog thinks she's playing in the Championship Game of the NCAA Tournament. If I let her, she'd have me in hysterics. It helps so much to have a training group that can help you put the brakes on that kind of behavior.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos