Thread: Rocky Update

Rocky Update

Following this thread: Rock - Kidney Values

Recap: bloodwork showed issues with the kidney values. Follow-up with urnialysis and blood pressure:
    - blood pressure within normal range (but high of normal)
    - urine concentration was good. my vet was quite surprised.

So I asked the vet what stage Rocky was at in kidney failure/disease and he said level 2; bordering on 3. I have some more questions here and would like a recap of the values again as I think I am missing the BUN valu or wrote it down wrong.

I have ordered hilary's blend as well as a bag of Hill KD prescription food. I want to do a cost analysis on both. From there I can make other decisions on what to feed.

We do follow-up bloodwork at the end of the month. Depending on those values I may make an appointment with a vet who also does the holistic side and food and all that..

He's been off Rheumacam (Nsaid) for almost a week now. he seems...ok. not much worse. I will likely try cartrophen injections.

I need to read up on phospherous binders and what supplements he should be on both for arthirtis and overall health. I think the sasha's blend incorporates some of that though (like the fish oils). he's on gluc/choindroiton (Omega Alpha) and I forgot to order the darn Flexadin Advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (08-17-2016)

Senior Dog
    He loves you and appreciates all that you do for him. Including all that research. It's good to hear that things weren't revealed to be worse by the tests...hope what you're planning will help him maintain a good quality life for a long time to come. Sweet boy.

Urine concentration is good news. I hope you see an improvement with more time being off the pain meds.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

yes I am hopeful going off the meds will show some improvement. But all I have read says once down the road of kidney despite things will, at one point, go downhill. All the efforts are to maintain at current level as long as possible. But realistically he IS 12. I know some labs live to be 14-15 but MANY (most?) seem to pass on around 11-13. I already knew that our time is short (be that 6 months or 2 years - with his mobility issues i don't imagine we'd make it past 2 years though he is holding stronger than I expected last winter). But still it sucks that we are navigating yet more health concerns.

The crappiest crappiest part - Penny was supposed to be there to help me when Rocky passed away. That's how it was all planned. Now this (though having him has been a HUGE help with Penny passing). I don't see getting another dog soon. I am not emotionally ready plus Rocky is costing me more and he seems to really really really be happy with my attention all on him - I hesitate to even commit to fostering (though once he's stable I likely will). Now I foresee a day where I will have no dogs. And I suspect i'll need time to save up and find the right dog. Blah I

But, I plan to keep Rocky happy and healthy for awhile yet! he could easily have another good year in him depending how things go.

Tanya, you are doing what a true dog lovers does-everything possible to help your companion to the best of your ability.

Hoping for much more time with that big, grey, slobbery loving you of yours.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

I don't know much about kidney disease in dogs so I can offer only good wishes that things stabilize and Rocky's around for a good, long time. I'm glad he seems so happy to have your undivided attention, why wouldn't he? He's loving you back as much as you're loving him.

You're certainly going through an emotionally draining period. Sending you all the virtual support I can. You're doing a fabulous job for Rocky.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos