My husband is sick of hearing it . . .

So I'm posting it here! In spite of the drought, this was today's garden take (and a dozen eggs):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -gardentake_081716-jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (08-20-2016)

Nice haul. I have been pulling tomatoes daily and cucumbers every couple of days. My cucumbers turned out to be smaller ones and the are all hooked shaped. The one tomato plant turned out to be a cherry tomato plant. I think somebody switched tags or it was mistagged. Needless to say I have a large freezer bag full of frozen cherry tomatoes.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Nice haul. I have been pulling tomatoes daily and cucumbers every couple of days. My cucumbers turned out to be smaller ones and the are all hooked shaped. The one tomato plant turned out to be a cherry tomato plant. I think somebody switched tags or it was mistagged. Needless to say I have a large freezer bag full of frozen cherry tomatoes.
    We've been eating our cherry tomatoes like berries but we're nearing our limit. Good to know we can freeze them. There are two plants that are complete mysteries and I was certain that I was picking up sweet peppers but we have an awful lot of jalapenos instead. I need to figure out what to do with those. The really funny experiment here is the watermelons. We're starting to get them in and I was certain that that wouldn't happen at all.

Looks yummy!

Have never tried watermelons. Have a spot with pumpkins in it; may put in watermelons in that spot next year.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Looks yummy!

Have never tried watermelons. Have a spot with pumpkins in it; may put in watermelons in that spot next year.
    They take up a lot of space. I put them in because I couldn't fill the lower end of the field and they just wandered everywhere. Now I don't know when to harvest them though. Have to look that up.

coppercleaner
    I'll put in an order for eggplant and zucchini. Looks so good, and eggplant parm is a favorite of mine.

Around here, this is the first year in probably 5 that I have been able to find old variety, seeded watermelon. All that has been available previously has been the seedless kind, and in my book, they are pretty tasteless. What a joy to have a "real" watermelon again.

It's been very dry here too. The rail trail Oban and I walk was starting to get long, deep cracks in it. I water the vegetable garden and last week and then again two days ago we had a lovely rain. I have one of best crops ever of tomatoes. I've made a batch of sauce with the Romas (our own onions, carrots adn basil in it too) and will soon be able to make another. The eating tomatoes, I think there might have been a tag switch on one of those, they are huge and bit bland. I think they were supposed to be Early Girl but look more like Beefsteak. The Glamour are good. I made a batch of chutney last night with them. My green beans are a disappointment. We had some good eats and I was hoping to put some up in the freezer but something is eating them. Little bites out of the leaves and all over the beans. I don't know what it is, no sign of a pest on them. My friend and sister in close and distant towns say the same thing.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

We have too much shade in our yard to grow anything so I am envious of your take. I wouldn't be able to keep up with the cucumbers, though. I don't care for them that much so even one plant would be more than I need. We have a neighbor with a large-ish garden and there are emails through the neighborhood association a couple of times a week from them, begging people to come and take some of their extra produce- zucchini and cucumbers particularly! Love the tomatoes though.

Nice looking take looks so yummy! I got my tomato in late and they are just starting to get red but my neighbor has been keeping several of us in tomato, cucumbers and onions. No one around here has eggs but I have found there are two white ducks and a couple chickens in the developement walking about they must have gotten out of their enclosure or was just let loose.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos