Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Life imitating art

I went downstairs and out through the garage to take out the recycling this morning. Since I come in and out through the garage frequently, sometimes items that I don't want to take up to the kitchen yet get "stored" near the bottom of the basement steps- big packs of paper towels or toilet paper, and in this case, a box of red wine. Yes, I am no wine connoisseur and a 3 liter box of wine works fine for me for drinking and cooking purposes, since it holds up pretty well over a longer period of time. While I was outside, smashing aluminum cans to make things fit into the recycling container better, the dogs decided to come down to the basement and check things out. Lark met me at the door with a piece of the cardboard wine box in her mouth, there was red wine leaking onto the carpeting, and she seemed quite pleased with her find. Chase was no longer in the basement, probably fearing this wasn't a good idea, but he had the bottom of the box upstairs and was in the process of ripping it up. I hadn't really planned on cleaning that carpet this morning first thing, but can't let that red wine sit for long. Anyway, it reminded me of a print I have by Sara England and is more true now than it was before this morning. They're now sleeping it off. (Actually, they only wanted the cardboard- silly pups.)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (08-18-2016), Annette47 (08-18-2016), barry581 (08-18-2016), Blackboy98 (08-20-2016), charliebbarkin (08-18-2016), IRISHWISTLER (09-05-2016), labsnewfy (08-19-2016), MikeLynn (08-20-2016), POPTOP (08-18-2016), Scoutpout (08-18-2016), Snowshoe (08-18-2016), zd262 (08-18-2016)

I LOVE this! Where did you find it? I'm off to google. Also what did you use to clean the wine up with?
    Charlie and Burton

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

barry581 (08-18-2016), smartrock (08-18-2016)

I got it at a dog show (Potomac). The artist was actually there herself but i'd seen her work elsewhere and already had another print.

Here's her website. I went ahead to the Lab section. That wine print is in her "Whimsical" section but there are many others, so it's worth a good browse. This one is called "Sunset", I also have "Lucky Dog"

Labrador

As for cleaning, I have a Hoover Steam vac but I used it with cold water rather than hot. I blotted the area well, ran the steam vac over it several times, and now it's sitting with a light colored towel weighted down on top of it to try to blot anything else up that might be there. It's wall to wall level loop carpeting, variegated brown/tan/green, so the fresh wine stain was very visible initially but now it's hard to see and when dry, hopefully won't be visible.
    Last edited by smartrock; 08-18-2016 at 11:26 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (08-18-2016)

Sue, did you buy that print the year Daos and I met you at Potomac? I love it and how apropos!

I want this one, it's so cute!!
    Pup: Play

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (08-18-2016), smartrock (08-18-2016)

Oh and Wine Away is magic! Don't ask me how I know... LOL

Amazon.com: Wine Away Red Wine Stain Remover,12-Ounces: Health Personal Care

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-18-2016), barry581 (08-18-2016), charliebbarkin (08-18-2016), smartrock (08-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I got it at a dog show (Potomac). The artist was actually there herself but i'd seen her work elsewhere and already had another print.

Here's her website. I went ahead to the Lab section. That wine print is in her "Whimsical" section but there are many others, so it's worth a good browse. This one is called "Sunset", I also have "Lucky Dog"

Labrador

As for cleaning, I have a Hoover Steam vac but I used it with cold water rather than hot. I blotted the area well, ran the steam vac over it several times, and now it's sitting with a light colored towel weighted down on top of it to try to blot anything else up that might be there. It's wall to wall level loop carpeting, variegated brown/tan/green, so the fresh wine stain was very visible initially but now it's hard to see and when dry, hopefully won't be visible.
    Thank you! We just renovated the kitchen and this print would be so cute in there! I'm glad you got that stain mostly out, I hope it dries well.
    Charlie and Burton

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Sue, did you buy that print the year Daos and I met you at Potomac? I love it and how apropos!

I want this one, it's so cute!!
    Pup: Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Oh and Wine Away is magic! Don't ask me how I know... LOL

Amazon.com: Wine Away Red Wine Stain Remover,12-Ounces: Health Personal Care
    oooo that print is super adorable! And thanks for the wine stain remover recommendation!
    Charlie and Burton

House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)
    For those interested in Labradors in art, Stephen Huneck has a variety of prints. I don'thave any but I DO have his book "My Dog's Brain" which contain number of 8 by 11 color illustrations of his prints of his Lab (and others).

Dog Mountain, Home of Stephen Huneck Gallery :: Prints

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Pr. For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (08-19-2016), smartrock (08-18-2016)

That puppy print reminds me of my black Katy babies!

I was at a wine tasting at a winery in Napa once, and spilled a little drop of red wine on my shirt, the lady behind the counter came out with a towel and Wine Away, and the stain was instantly gone! Amazing! I have a bottle now. :-)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (08-19-2016), smartrock (08-18-2016)

House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)
    For those interested in Labradors in art, Stephen Huneck has a variety of prints. I don't have any but I DO have his book "My Dog's Brain" which contains a number of 8 by 11 color illustrations of his prints (of his Lab and others) -- some comedic, some not.

Dog Mountain, Home of Stephen Huneck Gallery :: Prints

Oh! and here's a link to the book which'll give a few illustrations of his work.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Dogs-Brain...g%27s+Brain%22
    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 08-18-2016 at 03:27 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Pr. For This Useful Post:

smartrock (08-18-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos