Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The marking has begun...

Comet marked a stuffed black bear at my parents' house this morning... it's the first time he's marked anything inside. He's been marking outside in the yard for a couple weeks now and I usually try to redirect him to another spot in the yard. I do allow him to mark a big tree in the front yard and the tree in the backyard. Should I tell him no to marking across the board?

Interestingly enough, we did see a black bear 100 feet from the front door this morning when I let them outside... called them right back in. 15 acres in the Adirondacks...
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I never corrected Mulder for marking in appropriate places. The once or twice he marked indoors (once at the vet’s, once at training class - in both cases I suspect he was not the first) I did correct him big time for it though, same as I would any dog that age who was peeing indoors. As he got older I got good at reading the way he was sniffing things and I could tell if he was thinking about marking something, in which case if I didn’t want him to (like too close to the entrance of a building, etc) I told him leave it and that was enough. In the beginning though he did catch me by surprise a couple times!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (08-21-2016)

Senior Dog
    If I read correctly, he's only been marking for a couple of weeks now and he's well over a year old? My little pig started marking at about three months...around the time the inappropriate* humping started (*his mama's face/shoulders and stuffed animals). The humping stopped at the time of neutering but he still enjoys marking. He never did it inside anywhere, though...just out on our front yard (some dogs and wildlife come around) and on walks. He sometimes marks over Sunnie's pee, too...guess she doesn't finish her sentences.

I'd let Comet continue to mark outside and just discourage anything inside. Maybe that bear smelled funny.

Have not had marking inside, just a few accident pees when a newbee joined the family and had not learned that all peeing was to be done outside. At those times it was more of a squat (even the boys) and pee.

I control where and where not they can mark/pee on walks with a leave it.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Yes, he's 16 months old now and has only been marking for a few weeks. He was extremelyyyyy slow during housebreaking though, didn't fully catch on to that til 8-9 months.

He will be staying intact so definitely trying to curb this ASAP!

He hasn't marked inside at home yet, just outside. My parents' house is the first place he has marked inside. There was another Lab that lived here before they bought it. He has been here maybe 3 times since he was a puppy but never stayed overnight. I am here until Tuesday morning (can't go home because my hardwoods are being refinished).

He pooped twice on the carpet as well. I fully cleaned the spot the first time (Nature's Miracle, club soda, baking soda). I chalked that up to him being in a new place and his routine being totally screwed up. I should've brought his bells with me! I was asleep both times (it was at night).
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Is he also just starting to leg lift? If so my theory is you have to train the boys twice. First on horizontal surfaces, grass yes, carpet no. Second on vertical surfaces, trees yes, people and furniture legs no. The second time they learn much faster since now they have control. Now, I guess the teddy bear probably wasn't vertical? So this isn't quite the case but I think it might help YOUR mindset a bit. Did me anyway.

I too would only limit inappropriate marking, if it even is marking or is just confused peeing. Oban only pee'd, marked, whatever it was, inside once. At my sister's house. She had him for a couple of hours while I was doing something away and he was fine. He didn't pee on her big easy chair till I came in the door. Very peculiar. That was the chair her dog had many old age accidents of three kinds of "P" starting words on and near. Sis had cleaned it but maybe not with the right things? Who knows. Oban never did it again. He wasn't scolded or chastised or corrected or anything because we were all in shock. LOL.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

What's the 3rd p? Pus?

Yep, just starting to leg lift. The stuffed black bear is pretty big, maybe 4 feet long and 3 feet high? It's pretty substantial. He hasn't marked on anything else in the house yet, I think maybe just because it looks like an animal?

He doesn't really hump either, more often than not Luna is the one that humps him.

I'm keeping my eyes on him like a hawk and he's sleeping in his kennel tonight. Aargh.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Cookie never marked inside but if he did, I'd deal with it the same as with potty training when you have a puppy.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Being that he is young. And a boy. I'd have him drag a lead and fully take advantage of the crate in a new place. Sometimes they just get distracted and turned around being away from home until they get used to traveling. Some dogs just take more time to acclimate.

Sam has never marked and Linus started at 9 months. Never inside the house for either of them. Marking is annoying and can be pretty gross in my opinion, so when Linus started, I quickly took control over when and where he could mark.

Puke. Sorry.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (08-21-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos