Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keeping dogs busy...ideas for dog sitter

I'm taking off for a few weeks and have a dog-sitter staying at my house. I really lucked out! She is the cousin of two acquaintances who are active in the dog world (also cousins and housemates) who both teach puppy and pet dog classes, show their dogs in obedience and rally, one is a vet tech and one works at a rescue, and between the two of them they have five yellow Labs! Anyway, the dog sitter is their housemate when she does not have a house/pet-sitting gig. She also doesn't work otherwise and just takes one house/dog-sitting job at a time, so other than errands and stuff like that, she will be hanging out with the dogs pretty much 24/7.

I'm a little concerned because in the past, when I have tried to take a break from training and training classes/lessons, Linus gave himself lick granulomas. This actually happened twice. As soon as I head back to class, it heals and he hasn't had once since (nor have we taken a break). This will be his first block of time taking a break from training and it will be a six-week block due to my trainer being gone before I go, my vacation, then a work trip a few days after I get back (the dog sitter will come back for that trip).

I'm not worried about what to do while I am around. But while I'm gone, I am thinking of things for the dog sitter to do with the dogs to keep their minds busy. I've asked her to take them on two walks per day for 20-30 minutes. She will be bringing her dog, but he's a chi so I'm not sure if there will be much play-time with the new dog. I think I'll also break out the Kongs and buy some wet food and ask her to feed them from there once a day. They had some puzzle toys but they lasted about two seconds before they ate all the food and broke the toys. I'm not sure I want her feeding them bones. I'll have to think about that.

Anything else?

Would it be to much to as her to do some training with Liam? Is it like obedience or something more than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJo11 View Post
    Would it be to much to as her to do some training with Liam? Is it like obedience or something more than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good thought, but she does not do obedience (her cousins do) and I would not want anyone else training my dogs anyway. Three weeks may be enough time to mess up some of the work I've been putting in over the past three years!

Senior Dog
    Do you have a fenced yard? Creating a trail of kibble or cheese for Kimber to follow has been very effective at mentally engaging her.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (08-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Do you have a fenced yard? Creating a trail of kibble or cheese for Kimber to follow has been very effective at mentally engaging her.
    I do have a yard, so that could be something. They'd have to fight the ducks for it!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Best way to keep them entertained when doing yard work. Pop a bag of popcorn or get a bunch of kibble, put them in a stay, sprinkle it everywhere, release and watch them go bonkers
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (08-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    Best way to keep them entertained when doing yard work. Pop a bag of popcorn or get a bunch of kibble, put them in a stay, sprinkle it everywhere, release and watch them go bonkers
    That's just mean!!!!! LOL!!!

Best Friend Retriever
    Personally I think if you have someone that will come when they say and treat your dogs like their own, you're almost there.
    My last and only experience was a debacle.
    On the other hand; you have a fenced yard? What happened to fetch? Plus the walks you requested?
    Meals and exercise should keep them happy.
    Though bones will keep them occupied, I won't give my dog one unless I'm right there. How about made in USA rawhide chews?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Personally I think if you have someone that will come when they say and treat your dogs like their own, you're almost there.
    My last and only experience was a debacle.
    On the other hand; you have a fenced yard? What happened to fetch? Plus the walks you requested?
    Meals and exercise should keep them happy.
    Though bones will keep them occupied, I won't give my dog one unless I'm right there. How about made in USA rawhide chews?
    She is going to be living in my house full-time versus stopping in for walks. They aren't really into fetch in the yard because my yard is too small. I don't bounce balls; I don't want them jumping for them. Fetch in the house, on the other hand, is a given. I roll things, which they really enjoy. I would give my dogs bones before rawhides, personally. I do give some organic, grass fed local elk rawhides on occasion, but that's another one I'd rather not let someone else do.

My one dog does competition obedience, agility and field work. We train Monday, Wednesday and Fridays outside of the house in groups or classes. On Saturdays I often have an obedience lesson plus a field lesson, field group training or a match. In addition to all of this, I train about 15 minutes per day at home on my own and I might meet friends to train at a rented facilityas well. My concern is that sitting around the house, my dog will give himself a lick granuloma (per my original post).

Best Friend Retriever
    Excellent, living in the house.
    Well, perhaps she could just continue some of the very basic training since that's their routine.
    I bet you give raw bones, I've been getting smoked dog bones from the butcher and have seen them chewed to very small pieces.
    Good luck.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos