Lexie belle - water work

Aye Mates,

As was recently stated in the thread "LEXIE BELLE - An Update", LEX is coming along nicely regarding her overall development as a gundog. As we move forward, I incrementally add new skills to LEXIE'S growing set of critical skills based on those she has learned previously. Skills newly introduced are designed to increase LEXIE'S self confidence and competence through carefully planned success based training models.

Having demonstrated a solid understanding of the concept of the retrieve on land inclusive of each of the elements I want to see before we move to water, I decided that LEX was ready to run simple single marked retrieves on the water starting with a session this morning. NOTE the level of focus and intensity in this beautiful young lass.

LEXIE is worked from a "place board" initially as a carry over from her land retrieves. The "place board" gives LEX a concrete mental picture of where she will start and end her retrieves. NOTE I use a long check cord to guide the K9 trainee during early retrieves assuring formation of good habits, a complete retrieve with classic delivery to hand is already the norm for LEXIE. :-)

I affix the check cord to LEXIE'S collar and use it to guide her only if needed. The check cord allows me to make refinements in each element of every retrieve we work on simultaneously with the retrieve itself.

Both entries to and exits from water require LEXIE to leave and return from and to the "place board" whilst traversing land on foot. I randomly vary the proximity of the "place board" relative to the water to encourage both no dropping of bird upon exit from water to shake off excess water, and to travel across land as part of the retrieve as commanded.

Building success, trust, and proper form whilst on a check cord along with properly timed rewards leads quickly to our K9 trainee being worked off-lead throughout the entire retrieve, the "send" pictured here.

"INCOMING" - A highly motivated LEXIE returning back toward the place board with the recovered bird / bumper. "HEY LOOK MA - NO ROPE"! ! !

"THAT SPECIAL TOUCH" - Back on the place board and bird delivered to hand in classic style, reward is conveyed betwixed meself and LEXIE in the form of properly timed positive human physical contact. "FINE WORK YE DID ON THE WATER LEXIE LASS"! ! ! :-)

Enjoy ye retrievers and good training to ye all.

Slan go foill Mates,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

barry581 (08-29-2016), zd262 (08-29-2016)

Nice training lesson Mike!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JackK For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (08-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by JackK View Post
    Nice training lesson Mike!
    Jack,
    Thank ye much Mate, glad ye enjoyed it.

Cheers,
    THE DOG WHISTLER :-)
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos