Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

Need help finding this breeder

I met some people with a gorgeous dog- born June 2014. The woman said she had been told the dog's parents were a chocolate lab and a yellow lab- but this dog was not a Dudley. Woman got the dog from some kind of broker though, so she never saw the parents.Anyway, the dog apparently comes from Oregon. Dark yellow (almost red) female. If anyone knows anything about a litter born around that time to a breeder in Oregon- contact me! I'd love to know if they are still breeding. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemom View Post
    I met some people with a gorgeous dog- born June 2014. The woman said she had been told the dog's parents were a chocolate lab and a yellow lab- but this dog was not a Dudley. Woman got the dog from some kind of broker though, so she never saw the parents.Anyway, the dog apparently comes from Oregon. Dark yellow (almost red) female. If anyone knows anything about a litter born around that time to a breeder in Oregon- contact me! I'd love to know if they are still breeding. Thanks.
    If you find the breeder, let me know so I can turn them into my Lab Club and the authorities! Dogs from brokers are from puppy mills, which are illegal in Oregon (and other states). No half-way decent breeder would EVER use a broker. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are lots of great breeders in Oregon and the Pacific NW and there are plenty of darker yellow Labradors available if color is important to you. Always see the kennel/property the puppies are coming from and visit at least the mother. You can typically trust breeders that are involved in local clubs, so I'd start there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-31-2016)

Puppy
    Ah, I was wondering about that whole 'broker" thing. It seemed pretty shady to me. The dog seems to be in good shape though. The color doesn't matter much to me, but I figured it would be helpful for finding out where she is from.

Puppy
    I was also told that breeders have stopped them several times to remark at how beautiful the dog is and how she must have come from an excellent hunting dog breeder.

If the breeder had a broker place the puppies you want to run run away. if this family ended up with a friendly happy healthy lab they should count their lucky stars. that's just good luck.

And I'd be curious about these "breeders" who stopped them to say how great the dog was. where they just pet people who randomly breed their females or people actually in the labrador club/active.

If you are looking for a breeder, we can help you by providing information on what a good breeder is and does. Labs are terribly overbred as the most popular breed in america, and the fact a dog is "purebred" means nothing to it's temperament or health because of the many breeders cutting corners of just being irresponsible all around. The labrador retriever is plagued by many health issues, luckily there are some health testing that breeders can (no SHOULD) do before deciding to breed a dog. They should also prove their dog in some venue.

Information on health clearances: Clearances For Labs

there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a breeder but please please please only support reputable breeders that do things right.

Puppy Buyer Etiquette

Asking About Breeders or Where to Get a Puppy

To start your search check out the labrador club for your area
    About our club
    Oregon Hunting Retriever Club
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-30-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemom View Post
    I was also told that breeders have stopped them several times to remark at how beautiful the dog is and how she must have come from an excellent hunting dog breeder.
    What do you mean by "breeders" though? There are all kinds... Good, bad and really ugly. I have met and fostered some cute dogs and dogs with nice colors that came from the worst puppymills in the country or from bad breeders. It can happen. The genetic health of the dog is not always visible to the naked eye and are they considering the dog's structure? Movement? Or just "looks" as in color or expression? Field dog breeders can breed some dogs that are completely out of standard and even ugly but good at what they do. If someone is telling her that her dog came from an excellent hunting dog breeder, I'm guessing your friend does field work? If not, then how would they know if the dog came from an excellent hunting dog breeder? At the last two hunt tests I attended there was a "silver Lab" and breeders and handlers and judges all commented on how beautiful the dog was. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut!

We used to have a lot of "breeders" stop us and want to use Hudler (large and over-sized) for stud. Back-yard Breeders. Folks thought he was GORGEOUS. And he was. But he was clearly out of standard.

You can get a nice puppy from a good breeder in almost any state. And once you have them home, you'll wonder how you got so lucky to get the most gorgeous dog in the world.

And BTW, a dog born of a chocolate and a yellow isn't necessarily a "Dudley" but if the dog is yellow with brown pigment, it IS what we colloquially call a Dudley.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (08-30-2016)

Puppy
    I don't know. I think she was a field lab? At least apparently the breeder who saw her- who breeds champion field labs, was shocked that this dog was not doing field work. I found a picture online that closely resembles what she looked like.
    -10850316_10100384331433654_733400848820304842_n-jpg

where is your friend meeting these "breeders" that make these comments? just out and about on walks? or at some kind of event/competition? Do they have the dog's pedigree? (again, i wouldn't go near the breeders with a ten foot pole if they used a broker...)

I am confused how looking at a dog one could assume they do field work? or are from "good hunting lines". not really something you see when you meet a dog on a walk or at the park. I guess unless someone REALLY knows a line super well and can recognize a trait or two from that line.

Looks don't reflect ability. Take what people say on the street with a grain of salt.

If you are looking for an hunting style Labrador, you can easily find that kind of breeder following the same guidelines given above.

Any dog bought from a BROKER is a product of a puppy mill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Tanya (08-30-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos